Recommend a DVD (or BluRay) player for me?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My system is budget and very simple:

NAD 302 amplifier - love this amp. Gives me the warmth I like, and enough clout to keep me happy. Don't really want to change it. I also have a Rotel RA-920AX connected to my PC (used for video soundtrack editing and audio cleaning).

Kazuki DVD player - dirt cheap Chinese player that plays almost anything that is thrown at it. Pretty good picture and sound is surprisingly good too.

Sony Minidisc Recorder - forgotten the model number, really only used for playback now, but occasionally I'll record something using the SPDIF connection.

Tannoy F3 Custom speakers - just bought these to replace Mercury MX1 bookshelf speakers (which are now connected to the Rotel). Love them - the clarity really surprised me, even with their sub-optimal placement in my living room. Even the wife commented on how much clearer they sound, and how much better the bass is. And she's hard to please!

I feel I should upgrade the DVD player to something more capable, but don't know if a BluRay or standard DVD would be better. I don't have a large television, and I don't have an HD television. Just a 17" LCD. When the digital switchover is completed in London, then I'll consider moving to HD.

What I want is a player that will play almost everything I throw at it - DVD, CD, DVD±R/RW, CD±R/RW, MP3 CDs, VCD. I don't do DivX, but DVD-Audio would be handy. If it could also play back HD material recorded onto standard DVD±R/RW that would be a great bonus (yes, I know I don't have an HDTV, but I would still like that option!)

My television does not have HDMI slots, so either a SCART or phone/RCA video/audio outputs are essential. Preferably SCART, otherwise I'll need two sets of phono outputs - one to the television, the other to the amp.

Do you have any suggestions? Richer Sounds has some good bargains at the moment.

I tend to watch European films over Hollywood, and I listen to a wide range of music, but I'm particularly fond of baroque.

Hope I've given you enough info to help. Thanks in advance.

Tannoid

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
I'd hang fire until you get an HD TV as I'm nut sure you'll get a blu ray player with scart connection, and when you're replacing your DVD player you may as well get a blu ray player. As far as I know then new Sony BDPs (even the cheapest, less than £100) will play most formats you throw at it.

Also you might be better to post this question in the Home Cinema section...

A

Anonymous

I have only a couple of VCDs, so that's not a big issue. I can transfer them to DVD. And DVD-A was just something I was thinking of as a way of archiving my home recordings in the best quality possible.

Maybe I'll just have to try a couple of units out...

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Then id recommend the sony S370 ~ can be had on amazon (And various other places when the times right) for under £100 (Currently 120, but its been fluctuating weekly/daily)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts