Recomendations for a Newbie

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm new to the world of home cinema and HiFi, but i've got a full HD Plasma TV crying out for some HD feed rather than just Freeview SD and a non-upscaling DVD player connected by scart.

I haven't space for a full surround system, or the budget, so I'd like you opinions on setting up a stereo speaker arrangement.

Should i get a blu ray player and a stereo amp, or can i get a player that i can connect directly to a pair of speakers? I'll also be using it for music CD playback.

I hope this isn't to vague, i'll appreciate any caomments...

Thanks, Dave

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
do you want this for "better tv sound" only or will it be 50-50 for a music system as well? If mainly movies and a bit of music, you could investigate soundbars or the new Sony Bluray 2.1 systems. But the more emphasis on music will mean a switch towards a stereo amp and speakers...

What's your budget?

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Yeah it'll be 50-50 probably,and i like the idea of getting separates as they can be upgraded or added to as funds and space allow.

I've around £500 to spend and would probably get the player first then amp/ speakers next. Any thoughts on what would make a good combination? I like the look and reviews of Pioneers bdp 51fd...

Thanks again
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Personally before you start looking for better audio is to invest in a blu-ray player or if you are still unsure of the blu ray then get a DVD player that has a hdmi lead. Even without any upscaling you will notice the difference, deeper colours and crisper edges. You can get the Sony BDP350 for around £150 now or a decent dvd player for £70.

With the audio I think Big Aura is right, the best route is either a 2.1 system or a soundbar - if you go the movie route. Again this is just personal taste but I'd go with the soundbar and sub combo. You don't have to go for 5* equipment. I've heard a friends Yamaha soundbar with a Yamaha YST-FSW050 sub and it was surprisingly good, it didn't have that expansive feel of a properly set up full system but the effects were there which decent movement and the sub though small gave a fullness to the sound.

Don't forget that as soon as the bug bites (and it will bite
emotion-1.gif
) you will probably want to upgrade the system so when considering your budget I would take into account that you only buy these items once every few years (5-10 years for some things) get the maximum you can afford and make sure you tick all your personal boxes.

Hope I haven't waffled on too much!

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Then, trying to keep to your budget how about this (you can get the newer s360 for about £40 more) and this and these (or these to break the bank or these to go cheaper)?

Don't forget to get cables, and please, where possible audition stuff using a CD/movie that you're very familiar with!

EDIT: mixed up a link, should be correct now!

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice and recomendations, i do like the idea of going for a player/amp/speaker set up rather than an all in one. However i've a question about the S350: i see it doesn't decode DTS HD Master Audio, so if i were to play a disc with it's soundtrack in this form i presume i'd get no sound?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Because you're only looking at a stereo amp, you'd connect the Blu-Ray player up using the analogue stereo outs. In this case, the soundtracks are output in stereo so you'd still get sound fine.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Ok so i have another quick question.

Could i add a sub into a stereo set up for movies, and, asides from the obvious, what would i need to be able to do this?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
you can, provided the amp has a pre-out for a sub. Some do, some don't (I think the Cambridge 340A doesn't, the 540A does). Check first, tho.

To be clear, you won't get a 2.1 from dolby digital - you're still only going to get 2 channel analogue stereo, but the lower base frequencies will be sent to the sub.

Apart from the sub (which must be active (the ones included with all-in-one-box-home-cinemas are generally passive)), you'll need a sub-woofer cable (they generally don't come with one). You can pick one up for about a tenner, but it may be better to get a half-way decent one. I bought a Chord Crimson one from an ebay seller called Analogue Seduction (they have a normal shop up north somewhere) and they were very reasonable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts