Receiver upgrade pioneer sc-lx87-anthem mrx710 or marantz sr7008?

mobachi

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Dear experts
I am searching for an upgrade for my receiver which is outdated because no HDMI and new audio formats can be played.
My setup is de Monitor Audio Silver RX package (RX8 Front+rsw12 sub) NAD T773 receiver and Marantz UD7006 Blue Ray player.
For me Music is important but love to watch/hear movies also.
I heard a few Marantz receivers that I liked but than your are going to take a look at the whf site and find other options. I know that you should try to listen yourself but that is not easy because of the different brands
My shortlist is.
Pioneer sc-lx87
Anthem mrx710
Marantz sr7008
Advise about my list would be highly appreciated.
Regards
Cor

mobachi

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Hello ,

Sorry to bother you again.

I will refine my question.

There are a lot of posts to find about the Anthem but to be honest I never heard of it before I looked at the review in WHF.

Reading all the positive reviews is why I put this receiver on my short list.

Eliminated the Marantz so there are still 2 options for me the Pioneer or the Anthem.

So does anyone have an advise in which receiver would best fit the MA RX 8 speakers the Anthem or the Pioneer?

The reseller who sells Anthem doesn’t sell Pioneer or has MA to do a hearing/compare test.

Thanks

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
pretty good, though I tend to use it in 'extended stereo' rather than just two channel - I know thats not a 'purist' approach but extended stereo uses the rear speakers as well and seems to give a much fuller sound with music playback (and the MA RXFX surrounds use the same drivers as the RX8s so the MA package works really well in this mode).

Hi mobachi

I'll recommend the Anthem as they form an excellent tonal match with Monitor Audio speakers. Best of all the MRX 710 has got an ace up its sleeve in ARC (Anthem Room Correction). Ask your dealer to set up Anthem Room Correction in front of you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see and then hearing the power of Anthem Room Correction.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Also look at Yamaha RX-A3030 which works beautifully with your speakers. Currently available at a bargain £1499 from www.creative-audio.co.uk.

It also won the best home cinema receiver award here.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/rx-a3030

mobachi

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Adding the Yamaha makes it more difficult to me i keep it to the Anthem or Pioneer now but thnx anyway.

I must admit I am lacking the technical knowledge of most of the users here or the real audio purist way of thinking. What I like is fast and tight low and always use the sub together with the mrx8 in stereo. I have read (if I am correct) that it’s not possible to use the sub with the Anthem in stereo but I am not sure?

But maybe it’s not necessary with the Anthem I now have a NAD T773 which I find not sounding warm enough for my taste. I hope the sound of the Anthem or Pioneer is worth the upgrade (not only for the hdmi which the NAD doesn’t have)

I contacted a reseller and he has the Anthem in stock still looking for one who has the pioneer. I also must convince my wife that it’s necessary not to wait till June to buy a new receiver ;)

Currently, Yamaha, Pioneer and Anthem are the top receivers. All have very different sound signatures. I found Yamaha to pair best with Monitor Audio and superior to Pioneer for music, although I haven't demoed the Anthem with Monitor Audio. My order of preference would be: Anthem (subject to demo), then Yamaha, then Pioneer.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
This is a tough choice for you - but an interesting and exciting one.

It depends on what you like - but chances are you would like any.

I am leaning towards tjhe Anthem based on its setup - it will try set you up a house curve rather than a flat curve - that sound much better.

However the Pioneer and Yamaha's are probs better sounding with no eq but it depends on your room as to whether you will get that - 99.9% no chance unless you are very lucky or have some acoustic treastments up

Anthem and Auddesey (Marantz) will eq your sub - the Pioneer and Yamaha wont so you should look to get an anitmode if your sub doesnt have eq built in.

I think you need to make the effort to have a listen - big investment for you. However chances are you will like either - if you want a warm sound - buy Yamaha

mobachi

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all for taking time to reply. Will need more time and visit some shops to listen to the differences.

Removed the Marantz from my list and added the Yamaha so still 3 options :?

When I have made my decision I will let you know

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
FWIIW, a year in and the Marantz UD7007/SA7007 continues to please - no doubt a 7009 will be along in a month or two. Pre/post Audessy set up is huge difference - Monitor Audio studio20SEs bi-amped in 5.1 setup - so careful not to compare apples with pears with all these amps.

Interesting article from across the pond

http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-65

mobachi

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
You are right am going to do what i normally doesn't take my time.

Liked my NAD T773 until the moment that i thought i need a new device.

Already contacted a dealer who sells Anthem going to visit the store asap. But going to listen to other receivers too maybe its the best thing don't look at the receiver but only listen and be suprised what was playing. Choosing a car is easier must say.

mobachi

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I have read the march number of whathifi where the Yamaha RX-A3030 ,Pioneer sc-lx87 and the Arcam AVR450 is tested (to bad for me not the Anthem)

So now I must go and listen to the Yamaha to.

There is a thing I don’t understand about power -Watts.

Always thought that watts isn’t the whole story in performance but the quality of the transformer(?). I thought an indication was the weight of a receiver (NAD almost 24 kg and 145 watt in stereo 8 ohm and 7x110 W)

But now the receivers are losing weight the Anthem for instance 90 w in 5 ch weight 14 kg. It must be the class D amplification I guess?

Looking at the Yamaha or Pioneer the power rates are much higher.

So what’s the story with performance in relation to weight and watts am I underpowered when change from the nad to the anthem for instance and must go for the yamaha or pioneer considering power perf?

mobachi

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Made the decision it will be the Anthem MRX710.
Did a hearing session yesterday. To be honest didn’t listen to the other receivers.
It will not sound so good at home as at the session but heard what the receiver is capable of.
The setup at the dealer was in a conditioned room with a speaker set(Revel) that is 2 -3 times the price of my MA RX set. But the voices and details were so crystal clear that I was convinced. I thought there was playing a much bigger receiver. The dealer ordered the receiver and is going to install an calibrate it at our home. When it is running @ home I let you know what the result is. For now I hope it sounds at least better than what I run now.

regards

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Why not add some acoustic treatment to your room GIK are where its at
smiley-surprised.gif

Thats closest to their logo

mobachi

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
mobachi said:
Thanks Rick.

When it is installed I will give an update here .

Regards

Hi mobachi

Your welcome.

Any idea as to when you're likey to receive your MRX 710 please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hello Rick,

Yes it will be installed April 17.

Not sooner unfortunately. We are getting a new couch first and maybe that would interfere with the ARC measurement.

regards

TheHairyOne

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I can advise the LX87, I own it, also, the MRX500 I have heard so have an IDEA on the 710 and can say that is also an excellent receiver with regards to sound quality, I had quite a few problems with the MRX though, I feel the LX87 is a great all round choice

TRENDING THREADS