really really really really budget speakers for house party

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys looking for a pair of speakers to use as rears of an underground basement room. They dont need to provide ANY bass, but i want a virtually indestructible tweeter to be thrashed night after night.

Heres the catch, budget is £30 MAX seecond hand, preferably less. Was thinking wharfedale valdus 200? Anything have more power in mid/high frequencies? They need to be able to take a beating. will run bass -14db down on amp. to prevent overexcursion/colouration of mids.

A

Anonymous

Oooh tough budget.

You could make your own?
I've been doing a few projects myself using car speakers bought off eBay. £30 would get you a pair of nice Alpine, Infinity possibly JL. Spend a bit more and you could have some awesome Focal drivers.

But watch out they are 4 ohms (therefore louder / the amp will produce more power) but the amp must be able to drive a 4 ohm load, some can't. Most amp specs will list a power into 4 ohms if they will drive them or have the speaker impedance written on the back next to the speaker hook-ups.

Car speakers tend to be built to have a hard life and therefore are robust. But anyway, since they are so cheap you could almost get two sets especially if you went smaller (5 or even 4" dia).

Problem is, they really need an enclosure. OK so this is less important for treble only, as per your post. But, Mdf is cheap if you have the skills/time to make something. Worst case you could cut a hole in an MDF sheet just to prevent the reverse wave interfering with the sound (would look pretty gash though). Personally, I used a Tupperware box with a hole cut out for my project :) - not exactly HiFi I know but it was for an outdoor party and needed to be cheap, portable and waterproof. In fact it went pretty loud and sounded fine (fit for purpose). I powered mine of a small £10 Maplin DIY kit amp inside the Tupperware box, but you could just power it direct.

Hope that helps?

A

Anonymous

its gonna be underground with little/strobe lighting, looks really don't matter, i never thought of that i might try it. I'm quite handy with woodworking but i have no tools with me so itll probably have to be just a board to be honest to prevent the backwave...its not just treble, i want midrange too but mainly treble to give the kind of airy feeling.

thanks will try and get onto a pair of second hand jl's

A

Anonymous

JLs are a really good choice, fabulous sound.

People tend to have a real downer on car audio. No doubt because there is so much rubbish out there. However, stick on your wellies and have a wade into the detritus and you may just find a few gold nuggets.

Also, you aren't paying anything for the cabinet, or research into one. Just the drivers which on your average £200/£300 HiFi speaker probably cost around £30.

So a £130 set of Focal Components with off-board crossover (like I used to own) could well equate to a £750/£1000 HiFi speaker - in driver terms at least. And yes I know that a bad/mediocre cabinet will ruin them. But spend some time making a cabinet using some basic engineeering principles and some volume calcualtions of the Net and it might sound pretty good.

My main advice would be avoid any "halford's specials" brands like FLI, Magnat, etc - unless you're really hard up. Stick to dedicated Car Audio manufacturers like Alpine*, JL, Diamond, or if you can afford it HiFi manufacturers like Dynaudio, Infinity, Focal

I.e. Don't bother with Kenwood or Pioneer.

*Just not there most basic range

A

Anonymous

ok cheers :) ill try and stick to jl/other reputable brand even if its second hand, i know a bit about car audio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts