Ready for the Streamers?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
In February we replaced our ageing laptops. My new Acer has a 1Tb HDD. I decided it was an ideal opportunity to do something about storing my music collection on computer. I didn’t realise quite how many CDs we have between us! I am now on the last leg of the process and expect that it’s going to be approaching 1000 individual discs – that’s looking like over 300Gb of flac’d music and associated files, phew!

Mind you, they do sound good when played back via HRT Headstreamer DAC and Shure SE530 earphones. There’s more life and depth to the sound than with mp3 files, which often sound a bit too harsh, shrill and thin to my ears. So I have good sounds going on at work, and even on holiday should I choose.

This made my thoughts turn to home. I have a perfectly decent CDP-Amp combination, but sometimes it is more convenient to play from laptop to amp via USB and the Cambridge DACMagic. I’m a bit naughty and use a boosted USB cable but without noticeable degradation to spoil my listening. (The other evening I listened to a CD ripped to flac format on my laptop with Winamp and also the original CD on my ‘player – I could discern no appreciable difference in quality as I ‘hot-switched’ between sources – in a blind test I believe I would never know which was which).

However, in recent months WHF has been putting temptation in my way. What’s with all these music streamers then? All this recent grim weather has put me in need of a technology fix to chase the blues away and I am mulling over either a camera upgrade or maybe one of these shiny new clever boxes of tricks.

But do I really need such a thing (the streamer I mean)? After all, we have wi-fi, two redundant laptops and even a little-utilised tower PC. Between them they have more than enough hard disc capacity for all of our music. Surely we can set things up such that the spare boxes can be used to store and play music directly to DAC/Amp? As tempting as they might look, what advantages do the streamers offer? I already have Spotify and Winamp (and even iTunes) on my computers. Somewhere I might have an old Ethernet hub and cabling squirreled away from my IT days. So, do I really need another box of tricks? Or do I spend my money on a nice shiny Canon 60D or 7D? (Therein lies yet another conundrum...)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
If you have a redundant laptop, I would use this as a streamer. A streamer in itself, offers nothing over a computer, other than a quicker startup when required.

The laptop will....

Play discs of varying types, stream content from the internet, stream content from your home network, play back media stored on the laptop and generally act in the usual laptop ways.

A dedicated streamer is just a way to play digital files, either fed from a local source or internet. Some have other functions, such as a preamp, amp and DAC, but you already have thoses capabilities, so enjoy your new camera.

:)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:
If you have a redundant laptop, I would use this as a streamer. A streamer in itself, offers nothing over a computer, other than a quicker startup when required.

The laptop will....

Play discs of varying types, stream content from the internet, stream content from your home network, play back media stored on the laptop and generally act in the usual laptop ways.

A dedicated streamer is just a way to play digital files, either fed from a local source or internet. Some have other functions, such as a preamp, amp and DAC, but you already have thoses capabilities, so enjoy your new camera.

Thanks - that's pretty much what I thought. However, I had the horrible suspicion I was missing something (beside a few marbles). So, it looks like it's on with the camera choice process... :?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi ESP, I don't know what your budget is, but if you want to hear just how good a Streamer can sound, have a demo of the Linn Sneaky (£850)....I think you will find it worth the effort.

Cno

SteveR750

The Linn sneaky has a built in DAC, which is the bit that makes it sound good. Put a good DAC after a PC and you should get the same result. I'd buy the camera - I asked the same question as you a few weeks ago, and came to the same conclusion. Of course, that's assuming that a bit sounds the same one one PC as another.... ;)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Well I'd say the 60D unless you really feel you'd make use of the 7D's war-proof construction, 100% viewfinder, weather-proof seals and shorter shutter lag ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:
Maybe, but the OP wanted a choice between a streamer and a camera and he already has streaming capability so.....

.....If the OP owns a camera, the same logic applies....so it may depend which gives more pleasure. :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Overdose said:
Maybe, but the OP wanted a choice between a streamer and a camera and he already has streaming capability so.....

.....If the OP owns a camera, the same logic applies....so it may depend which gives more pleasure. :)

That's a good point. I'd make a small wager though, that the Sneaky would not make much of a noticeable difference over the HRT DAC already in place.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I would absolutely love to be able to sit down and listen to a whole variety of expensive and exotice equipment, to see if I'm missing out, or by how much. Unfortunately, I don't think the local dealers would tolerate extended testing without me opening my wallet. Of course, if I discovered something that I really liked (and was affordable) I'd maybe dust off the cobwebs.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:
I would absolutely love to be able to sit down and listen to a whole variety of expensive and exotice equipment, to see if I'm missing out, or by how much. Unfortunately, I don't think the local dealers would tolerate extended testing without me opening my wallet. Of course, if I discovered something that I really liked (and was affordable) I'd maybe dust off the cobwebs.

IMO A good dealer should be happy to sow a seed and show off what he has.....in fact either of mine will let me know if they have something interesting that is worth hearing. It's all about building a relationship and playing the long game.

The one thing they don't like, is using them to demo with the intention of buying cheaper on-line.

Some years ago, I was at my dealer on another matter, when he said that Linn had just brought out this remarkable sounding tech called a DS, and suggested I take a listen. I didn't buy it at the time, but it left a lasting impression and when I did an upgrade, I knew what I wanted.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe a moot question but how long is a laptop likely to last when permanently switched on and used as a server? For a start the two laptops in this house (both HP) virtually cook if you don't keep their lids up. And that's with them sat on a flat wooden surface. They seem to be designed to dissipate a certain amount of heat through the keyboard, on the assumption that when laptops are switched on, their lids will be open most the time.

I've also had experience of laptops where the bearings in the cooling-fan have worn out very quickly if the machine is left on, possibly because their miniaturised construction (compared to tower-unit fans) has a negative effect on their longevity. Mind you I suppose the same could be said of cooling-fans in dedicated NAS drives; they're often built down to a size as well, obviously.

Best thing is try it and see. If it doesn't work, then buy a dedicated streamer/NAS.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
How much power does a laptop use just to stream music/video ?

My streamer - a playon!hd mini2 only uses 8.2W even when streaming 1080p BD rips.

A streamer is also easier to control when lying on the sofa with its remote control - or being controlled by your phone/tablet.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:

Ditto! :)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I'd get the 60D. Best balance between ergonomics and price (since the sensor is the same between 600D, 60D and 7D).

Though the OM-D is rather yummy...

Thanks John. Tempting to start up a thread elsewhere on this subject, but would it help or only entertain? :?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
This thread was a bit of a slow burner - I didn't think anyone was interested to start off. :)

However, thanks for the posts folks. In addition to the usual entertaining sparring, I see that there are some very useful tips and pointers; the sort of comments that actually clarify the vague notions that are circulating in the little grey cells. I was particularly struck by the points about practicality where laptops are concerned: heat, fan bearings and such.

As I sit here typing away, I believe that my mind is made up (for now). It pretty much follows this course: I do have streaming capability right now in a less than elegant way. I do believe that the opening skirmishes in the streamer war are far from over and there is more to come in the field. Sad is it might seem, I spend more time with camera than hi-fi, even though both give great pleasure. So, it's onto the 60D vs 7D debate for me. As for the streaming, I will keep my powder dry for now and see what, er, develops in that arena.

John Duncan

ESP2009 said:
John Duncan said:
I'd get the 60D. Best balance between ergonomics and price (since the sensor is the same between 600D, 60D and 7D).

Though the OM-D is rather yummy...

Thanks John. Tempting to start up a thread elsewhere on this subject, but would it help or only entertain? :?

I much prefer a camera fight over any other, so go crazy...

SteveR750

MajorFubar said:
Maybe a moot question but how long is a laptop likely to last when permanently switched on and used as a server? For a start the two laptops in this house (both HP) virtually cook if you don't keep their lids up. And that's with them sat on a flat wooden surface. They seem to be designed to dissipate a certain amount of heat through the keyboard, on the assumption that when laptops are switched on, their lids will be open most the time.

I've also had experience of laptops where the bearings in the cooling-fan have worn out very quickly if the machine is left on, possibly because their miniaturised construction (compared to tower-unit fans) has a negative effect on their longevity. Mind you I suppose the same could be said of cooling-fans in dedicated NAS drives; they're often built down to a size as well, obviously.

Best thing is try it and see. If it doesn't work, then buy a dedicated streamer/NAS.

You could use a cooling base that has a low speed fan inbuilt, raises the PC above the table for better ventilation, and is powered off the USB port. My sons used them with their samsung laptops when gaming as they got very hot indeed, and they made a big difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts