RE: The influence of others

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I can’t believe you locked that thread Claire. I wasn't comparing WHF to the Third Reich as you must well know. But merely pointing out the flaw in your argument that people often do not make their own minds up but rely on others for direction, so it's not as open and shut as you and others would have us believe. This is my last post on this subject and most will be glad of this but I'll just end up saying that all the locking of threads on here does nothing to stimulate free debate which I would have thought was one of the tenets of a public forum overseen by those wishing to provide a forum for free public opinion. No doubt you'd prefer to say "well don't use this forum then" as you have said to others who have expressed this opinion.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Stone me! Take an hour off to cook dinner, and look what happens...

It's just like that Steven Moffat Doctor Who eppy where you don't dare blink!

By the way, all what locking of threads? 53,000+ threads on this forum and I'd guess only around 0.1% of those have ever been locked.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]Stone me! Take an hour off to cook dinner, and look what happens...[/quote]

Lol. Know what you mean. Just got back home to see words like third reich on 'the' hifi forum. Still at least no one 'bite the dust' but then you were away...................

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JAXON5"]Still at least no one 'bite the dust' but then you were away[/quote]

Who me? I'm a mild and gentle soul.

It's the boss you really want to be scared of...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="simonkee"]I can't believe you locked that thread Claire. I wasn't comparing WHF to the Third Reich as you must well know. But merely pointing out the flaw in your argument that people often do not make their own minds up but rely on others for direction, so it's not as open and shut as you and others would have us believe. This is my last post on this subject and most will be glad of this but I'll just end up saying that all the locking of threads on here does nothing to stimulate free debate which I would have thought was one of the tenets of a public forum overseen by those wishing to provide a forum for free public opinion. No doubt you'd prefer to say "well don't use this forum then" as you have said to others who have expressed this opinion.[/quote]

The thread - which ran for 167 posts, and is still available to read in full, for everyone, here - had ran its course.

I'm also neither banning you (despite you breaking house rules) nor deleting the thread as we do believe in healthy debate.

What I can't condone is crass analogies that may leave both you and this Forum open to rightful criticism if allowed to escalate.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
[quote user="simonkee"]I can't believe you locked that thread Claire. I wasn't comparing WHF to the Third Reich as you must well know. But merely pointing out the flaw in your argument that people often do not make their own minds up but rely on others for direction, so it's not as open and shut as you and others would have us believe. This is my last post on this subject and most will be glad of this but I'll just end up saying that all the locking of threads on here does nothing to stimulate free debate which I would have thought was one of the tenets of a public forum overseen by those wishing to provide a forum for free public opinion. No doubt you'd prefer to say "well don't use this forum then" as you have said to others who have expressed this opinion.[/quote]

The thread - which ran for 167 posts, and is still available to read in full, for everyone, here - had ran its course.

I'm also neither banning you (despite you breaking house rules) nor deleting the thread as we do believe in healthy debate.

What I can't condone is crass analogies that may leave both you and this Forum open to rightful criticism if allowed to escalate.

[/quote]

thumbs up from me in regards to getting rid of crass (or just bad) analogies ;)

A

Anonymous

You lot should grow thicker skins. Im Jewish and wasnt offended and neither was my father.

A

Anonymous

I must confess to being a little taken aback that the discussion was closed. I hadn't contributed but thought that many points were well made and had relevance. One of the disadvantages of free speech is that some people may say something you don't like. Closing the thread makes it look like you were merely curtailing any criticism of your magazine.

As so many of us have spent many hundreds of pounds over the years investing in your journalism. Surely a vote of confidence ?- It would be appropriate for views to be aired ? I would much prefer to take part in lively debate about such subjects as your conversion to the church of Onkyo rather than brainless missives about Hob Nobs!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Ryelane"]Closing the thread makes it look like you were merely curtailing any criticism of your magazine.[/quote]

Far from it. We let it run despite the ranting of some, and Clare closed it when a stupid analogy was made.

[quote user="Ryelane"]I would much prefer to take part in lively debate about such subjects as your conversion to the church of Onkyo rather than brainless missives about Hob Nobs! [/quote]

There's room for all kinds of debate here, but surely Onkyo being a Japanese company that would be a jinja, rather than a church.

And talk of jinja brings us neatly back to Hob Nobs, discussion of which is anything but brainless.

Mr Duncan, the floor is yours, but please all bear in mind that this entire thread is skirting the limits of house rules.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Ryelane"]Closing the thread makes it look like you were merely curtailing any criticism of your magazine.[/quote]

Far from it. We let it run despite the ranting of some, and Clare closed it when a stupid analogy was made.

[quote user="Ryelane"]I would much prefer to take part in lively debate about such subjects as your conversion to the church of Onkyo rather than brainless missives about Hob Nobs! [/quote]

There's room for all kinds of debate here, but surely Onkyo being a Japanese company that would be a jinja, rather than a church.

And talk of jinja brings us neatly back to Hob Nobs, discussion of which is anything but brainless.

Mr Duncan, the floor is yours...

[/quote]

Thats made it worse. So youre saying that because you think an analogy is stupid it warranted the thread being blocked? As for JohnDuncan last week and another chap in the last thread who had personal attacks on Thaiman for incorrect grammar as if theyre bastions of the English tongue! (sorry for using you Thiaman) that really offended me and probably other people and yet because JohnDuncan is in your boys club you did nothing about that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts