Re: Home Cinema Assistance

GregM68

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
High there!

I am quite knew to Home Cinema and I believe I am not getting the best out of my system. I use a Pioneer LX-83 Receiver hooked up to a Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX508 50' plasma. I use a sony BDP S-570 all connected using HDMI 1.4 cables although I do realize my Kuro is only 2D (I am not interested in 3D YET!). I have a 5.1 set up, with the speakers and SW all B & W. According to the LX-83 set up it says that it should say on the display what music source is being played i.e. HD Master etc etc but mine always says 'PCM' irrespective of what I press. I have run the MCACC program which seemed to work well. Whenever I press the sound set up it cycle through the ALC, Pure Direct, Auto Surround and then resorts to PCM. I never get the actual source being displayed yet it says in the manual that I should. Any thoughts anyone??

Secondly, whenever I switch everything on the AV receiver shuts down after approx 20 seconds which then 'freezes' my Kuro plasma. To get a picture I have to turn the Receiver back on and unplug the Kuro for 10 seconds and then plug it in and switch it on. It does not sound much but beginning to get on my nerves. I cannot find any reference in teh on-screen set up for the LX-83 with regards to switching off the 'Kuro Link' as I read in a forum that is what you should do but I cannot find it anywhere.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks

Greg

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Regarding the sound problem, check that the Sony's Audio (HDMI) is set to Auto, and BD Audio Mix is set to Off. That should ensure raw DDHD and DTSHD are being output over the HDMI to the receiver.

Regarding the freezing receiver:

Select ‘System Setup’, then press ENTER. Select ‘Other Setup’, then press ENTER. Select ‘HDMI Setup’, then press ENTER. Select the ‘Control’ setting you want.
Choose whether to set this unit’s Control with HDMI function ON or OFF. You will need to set it to OFF.

Also worth checking whether Kuro Link is turned off on the TV and that control for HDMI is turned off on the Sony in 'System Settings' The freezing sounds like a clash between the two variants of HDMI control.

GregM68

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for getting back to me Andrew.

I will have a bash tonight and let you know how I get on although it will probably be next week when i can let you know how I get on.

For clarity, can I confirm that I should switch OFF the HDMI control on both the receiver and the sony BD player??

Also, I cannot seem to find any reference at all to 'Kuro Link' in both my receiver and Plasma set ups.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for getting back to me.

All the best

Greg

A

Anonymous

I need some help!!!

I recently purchased a Sony KDL 46EX 503 tv set and a Sony BDP S370 blu ray player which are linked together via Monster gold hdmi cables.

My question is this...The sound capability from my Sony tv is extremely basic (my previous tv was a 28 inch JVC cathode ray set, with excellent bass).What sound system would you recommend for watching dvd and blu ray movies. I also have a sky+ box linked to my Sony tv via Monster gold hdmi cables. Any comments would be greatly accepted.
smiley-wink.gif

GregM68

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Colin,

Crikey you have opened up a can of worms
smiley-smile.gif
!!! There are so many avenues to go down obviously dependant on your budget. My own system is built up with various manufacturers equipment and I have always done this.

Would you not try going for perhaps any of the products rated in this magazine from the speaker packages/all in one speaker packages or home cinema in a box c/w any one of the AV Recievers (Denon/Onkyo/Pioneer etc etc) rated at 5 stars in the home cinema amplifier section?

Have a look in these sections and look at each products independant reviews........so much choice at various pricing levels.

It totally depends on your budget and how much room you have Colin but going with any packages rated at 5 star is no bad thing.

Good luck!!!

GregM68

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Andrew..........you are a legend!!!!

Did everything as you said and the system is flying now thanks to you.

Thank you very much indeed.

All the best

Greg

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your comments Greg.
I used to have a JVC 28 inch tv and JVC dvd player with cable tv box all linked by scart leads to a Technics 5 speaker sound system. It all sounded great until some one dropped a pint of beer into the Technics system while hosting a house party one night!It was time to upgrade and so I purchased the Sony KDL 46EX 503 tv and the Sony BDP S370 bluray player which came highly recommended on this site. I will take your advice and research a little futher. Many thanks once again. ;)
...Colin.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
COLINMONTY said:
What sound system would you recommend for watching dvd and blu ray movies.

The obvious choice would be an AV receiver and a set of speakers, so that everything could connect to the receiver. What kind of budget would you have in mind for the sound system? (Hint: decent AV receivers start at around the £300 mark, and you should consider spending at least the same on speakers)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts