Re: Advice required on system replacement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Some years ago I purchased a Denon AVR3803, Denon DVD2900, Monitor Audio Radius 5.1 speaker pack and an Hitachi plasma monitor and very good it has been. I will relocate this system to the lounge and need to replace in a dedicated cinema room.

Three years ago I purchased a Themescene HD81 projector, which for many reasons is still boxed and unused and have a generation 1 PS3.

I wish to purchase a more musical system with a Blu-Ray source (that is capable with multi-region DVD playback) and can play cd's and SACD's. Do I need a separate CD source - I think probably.

The question is what do I buy with a £10k to £12k budget (to include all equipment, cabling, av rack, screen, fitting etc.) that delivers high quality images, sound and execllent musicality?

I'm tempted to stick with Denon as it has been fautless and bullet proof but perhaps the musicality of the Arcam is a step up?

Please help...........

A

Anonymous

Hi

you have a very good budget and with good planning you could end up with an excellent home cinema system. is it to be more swayed to music or visual or a mixture of both. Also is your room going to be light controlled to get the most out of your projected image, this is very important and quite often overlooked.

The Denon AV recievers are excellent and so are the new Onkyo range, both will do you a good job of driving good cinema room speakers. Speakers in a cinema room should be capable of both music and movie sound tracks and not just geared to one or the other if thats what the intended use is to be.

please let us know your room size if possible and intended viewing distance, also window and door positions, and we`ll go from their.

cheers Allan

PS. if its not too personal a question where roughly are you in the UK

A

Anonymous

Allan,

Thanks for the interest. I am based in the West Midlands.

The purpose of the upgrade is to kill the proverbial 2 birds - excellent audio visual as I love film and also musical reproduction as I buy too many cd's. The current system is not hi-def and I always felt the speakers were not quite up to standard. We are about to embark on a major renovation so I can relocate my existing system into a sitting room and develop a dedicated cinema room.

The room itself is a concrete floor and is around 4.5m by 5.5m. The screen will be on the 4.5m wall and either side will be a window, say 18" wide floor to ceiling. This will give sufficient space for a 7' motorised screen between them. We intend, when funds allow, to buy a 4 seater stressless reclining sofa ona curve that would sit say 2.5m from the screen. There will be a pair of double glazed doors to enter the room so you would face the screen.

I would intend to only put a simple lighting system in place.

I hope that helps.

A

Anonymous

ou812jd:

The purpose of the upgrade is to kill the proverbial 2 birds - excellent audio visual as I love film and also musical reproduction as I buy too many cd's. The current system is not hi-def and I always felt the speakers were not quite up to standard. We are about to embark on a major renovation so I can relocate my existing system into a sitting room and develop a dedicated cinema room.

The room itself is a concrete floor and is around 4.5m by 5.5m. The screen will be on the 4.5m wall and either side will be a window, say 18" wide floor to ceiling. This will give sufficient space for a 7' motorised screen between them. We intend, when funds allow, to buy a 4 seater stressless reclining sofa ona curve that would sit say 2.5m from the screen. There will be a pair of double glazed doors to enter the room so you would face the screen.

I would intend to only put a simple lighting system in place

Hi there

my concern here is the DG doors facing the screen which would reflect back on the image unless either covered with a curtain or blind, the 2 windows eitherside of the screen once again, although not ideal, could be covered with a blind or fabric curtains. This could also work in your favour a little and act as acoustic panels to help take care of any room reflections if the right fabrics were used. Screen size isn`t a problem and is suited to the room and your seating position.

Choice of equipment isn`t obvious as yet but certainly a full HD projector is definatley within the budget and a good one at that. More importantly is the speaker choice due to your requirements for good music reproduction and movie soundtrack playback, my initial thoughts are for the new MK 950`s which we have here on permanent dem, i`m certain others will agree here with me that they are probably MK`s new best sounding speaker for music and just excellent for movies as well in a long while, and should definatley be considered.

They have very good detail, positioning and attack for movies but they are using the tweeter out of the 2510p pro monitor so the musicallity of them is just fantastic and I personally really do like them and so do a lot of reviewers.

I would really insist on you having a demonstration of all the equipment before hand though to satisfy yourself what you would be listening/looking at. A subwoofer would complete the speaker package as well to take care of anything below 80hz so think on positioning.

An oppo bluray player would I know take care of both movie and music playback and is probably the most sought after machine at the moment by a lot of members.

Visual wise, two projectors to look out for at the moment currently are the Epson 5500 and the JVC 550, both offer excellent black levels in the right room, both are able to be calibrated if you feel the need to and the epson having the better of the warranty with 5 years onsite and unlimited lamp replacement within the 5 yrs which as far as I know is unequalled. Their are of course others to be had but i think its fair to say these two are quite liked in the AV world and take some beating for the money. That said both are last years models so we`ll have to wait and see whats coming round the corner but don`t expect massives changes just subtle ones.

Screens, well the world is your oyster, but there`s a new kid on the block who is producing a screen to match all the very top names, ie Stewart-Screen Research-Vu Tech and come in well below all of them price wise without losing anything on the attributes of image detail, sharpness, colour depth and clarity, all are tabbed tensioned as standard and as a bonus (and this is something to think about) all are acoustically transparent so will allow for the correct positioning of your center speaker which is behind the screen. This isn`t essential but if you want t do it correctly that is the only way to do it.

Recievers, my personal favourite are Onkyo and Denon, the only advice to give here is once again have a good listen, and with the speakers you would like it to be paired up with, the Audyssey DSX technology allows for extra wide fronts, this is not something everyone wants or can even accomodate but having heard it setup properely is really exciting. Their is a new Audyssey format on the way, Audyssey multi EQ XT32 which is going to be fantastic and has the inbuilt facility, Audyssey Sub EQ HT to control your subwoofers which is once again new and exciting technology. Some new model AV recievers will incorporate this so thats something to think about for sure.

lighting systems are once again very personal and can be as simple or complicated as you want them to be, we have used i-light and GET and both have their attributes, the GET system is very easy to use and it very affordable, also its a good looking system and very well built wallplate and remotes, i`ve no doubt the lighting boys will offer some more options for you.

I won`t bore you anymore with facts but hope you take onboard some of the things i`ve gone through, if you would like any more info such as review links and pdf`s please ask.

All my contact details can be found in my biography if you want to take this any further on a more personal level.

I hope this little lot helps you and you should be looking forward to having a great cinema/music room

cheers Allan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts