RE; 3D Dead in the water?.

dobrocop

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi Just finished reading the email on Smart TV's and the statement "3D dead in the water" dosent hold any of the "Water" its sopposed to be in !, this is a very anti 3D opinion and is based on what?,as you say yourself "Many TV's still have it" and have it as Standard so just because 3D is not being pushed quite as much these days dosent mean its going to go away anytime soon, as long as Hollywood continues to produce 3D movies then TV's and in particular the new 4K UHD sets all have 3D that looks amazing in 4K !,many viewers enjoy 3D in Cinemas and 42 ins + TV's and i for one would not buy a new tv if it did not have 3D, so please stop with the "Negative" comments on 3D and look at the Big picture in HD LCD and UHD OLED LCD etc !...ted.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Well it all depends on how many people who have a 3D TV actually use the 3D functionality. What was interesting at CES in January was that 3D barely got a mention from any of the big TV manufacturers, unlike a year or two ago, and many of them admitted to me privately that there hadn't been the consumer take-up of 3D that they'd hoped for.

The BBC has given up on it, ESPN has closed its 3D sports channel and this year's World Cup wasn't even filmed in 3D.

3D has in fact been around for a very long time (the first 3D film was made in 1903). What's interesting is that the interest in 3D seems to come and go every couple of decades, making a bit of a comeback in the cinema then falling out of fashion again. You might find this article interesting:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/behind-scenes-sonys-uk-3d-centre

I wrote it in 2011, but three years later I'd argue the 3D revolution has (again) failed to take off in the way the TV manufacturers, film makers and broadcasters hoped, certainly in the mass market. I'm happy to be proved wrong.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I have to say, I bought my TV for the design and screen. The fact it has 3D is neither here nor there. I've looked at stuff in 3D twice since I bought it. Once to check it out, and once to show my curious mother-in-law... Apart from that, I'm in no rush to go out and buy lots of 3D BluRays....

Of course, the fact that I wear glasses doesn't help! Just makes the whole thing a pain.

D

Deleted member 2457

I don't use the 3D on my TVs, never have done either. It gives me headaches on TVs, I am okay at the cinema though and quite enjoy it there. When I demoed a LG TV in Currys though I was quite impressed with the 3D, it was pretty amazing, but that is the only 3D demo I have really been impressed with.

I don't think I will do 3D on my Oled but you never though, it might come down to whether I buy another Blu-ray player or not! I have 4 pairs of LG's glasses ready at hand.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
As Andy says, everyone is getting out of it, broadcaster-wise, Sky doesn't do football in 3D now I understand.

3D has always been a 'Hollywood' obsession and with the increase in screen sizes and quality [+ + + + + + + it was an excellent opportunity to sell their films all over again] plus Bluray, the ship set sail again. Plenty of people can't watch it, even more can't be asked but you still can't market a tv without it being there.

For me, if a visual experience is entertaining enough, then my brain can do the depth thing more than adequately enough; but you enjoy it so it doesn't matter what others think really. Enjoy what you enjoy.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I think 3D was just a way of selling tvs when there was no advancement in picture quality. OLED and 4K have come along now, so there is a new product for the tv manufacturers to sell, so 3D is no longer needed as a selling tool.

I've not seen passive 3D, only active, so I'm not sure how good it is, but I do find active very distracting and unclear, especially as I wear glasses for tv viewing.

I'm not anti-3D, but I could live without it.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I have to say, Gravity 3D on my active-shutter LG60PZ950T in the kitchen looks great, even allowing for the still-dodgy black levels on the calibrated set. I don't watch 3D much at all, but I certainly wouldn't want to be without it. And the higher-specification televisions, from nearly all manufacturers, have 3D as standard. And I wear glasses too, but I don't find wearing bigger 3D glasses over my normal ones to be too tiresome, at least not for the duration of one film - I might feel differently if I were to watch three 3D films in a row!

I've not bought Blu-Rays for a while, but my next purchases will include the 3D version of Pacific Rim.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
3D has in fact been around for a very long time (the first 3D film was made in 1903). What's interesting is that the interest in 3D seems to come and go every couple of decades, making a bit of a comeback in the cinema then falling out of fashion again. You might find this article interesting:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/behind-scenes-sonys-uk-3d-centre

I wrote it in 2011, but three years later I'd argue the 3D revolution has (again) failed to take off in the way the TV manufacturers, film makers and broadcasters hoped, certainly in the mass market. I'm happy to be proved wrong.

That was a thought-provoking contribution, Mr Clough!

mamared

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
am looking for a new tv size 39/40 may consider 42 if better quality, price £400 at a push £450. I will be watching tv and catch up not really fussed with 3D either way. In stores have recommneded the following sets but my brain is fried, pleasse can you help in any way as to the best buy for money. i have tried posting in the tv forum but it doesnt let me so trying here sorry for butting in

http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-kdl42w7-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-42-with-freeview-hd/p1169287?colour=Silver

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue40h6400-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-40-with-freeview-hd-voice-control-and-2x-3d-glasses/p1319188

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/lg-42lb585v-smart-42-led-tv-10010287-pdt.html#cat-0

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx39as600b/pana-tx39as600

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I was a 3D naysayer when i had a Kuro

Now with the new TV and the 3D3 glasses calibrated painstakingly to BT1886 - not a power gamma I love it - Its honestly amazing - completely different class to the best cinema experience I ad of Avatar on the huge screen the first time I saw it.

But that had tons of issues I now know - terrible cross talk - blurring juddering - cant think technical terms now, glass champagne for lunch to blame.

Its honesly stonking in a pitch black room. Its not 100% perfect - the glasses do dima dn tint the image but I have calibrated that out best I can - all but the lowest IRE are bloody spot on and because the panel does not do full res movement and you can see it, but its still real good - it gives a calibrated 2D image a real run for its money with the magic of 3D.

Not all films I have seen are great - the Hobbits (I have only watched these in 3D) have good bits and ok bits - films like pacific rim, transformers 3, titanic and still avatar have special appeal in 3D. I really hope 3D keeps coming.

Stop with the Nay Saying you lot!!!!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Get the sets calibrated BB the difference is huge for 3D - they also need to be on the right setting on the glasses there is 2 settings.

I am not sure which setting for your PJ might be the opposite one to the TV.

Obviously there will only be one calibated set of glasses, I marked mine with masking tape so I know to wear them.

The other pair I have is still very good, just not quite as good as the pair I did the cal with

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure 3D was ever alive, either in or out of the water. Just as movie theaters used gimmicks such as 3D, Sensurround, Cinemascope and even injecting perfumes into the air-conditioning system in order to lure people in with an experience they couldn't get at home (at the time TVs were beginning to be a domestic 'must have' and not just a luxury for the few), so 3D, Smart TVs, curved TVs and the like are just a desperate attempt to get people to buy premium-priced TVs at a time when new models rapidly fall prey to the discounters.

3D is just as futile an attempt as all the others: new TV models stop being exclusive and become commoditised almost the moment they're launched, discount deals appear, retailers demand ever-keener prices from the manufacturers, and bang goes this year's attempt to make your company's TV division profitable.

And if you need more evidence that the public simply wants the biggest screen for the lowest possible price, regardless of price, brand or quality, cast your mind back a couple of weeks to the Battle of Black Friday!

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Yes, I've already agreed on a price with Vincent Teoh. Need to run in a couple of hundred hours before calibration. So hopefully February - March.

vincent is a good honest calibrator and he knows his stuff. He calibrated my VT and I've never looked back. Don't forget to post your thoughts BB when you've had it done.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts