Rdac power supply diy

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
After some post not too long ago on this forum, about upgrading the RDac power supply, with a 100 quid replacement, I became curious as to what other specifications this upgrade had. (In order to find the same without the hifi premium...) It turned out to be an AC/DC converter with a lineair supply, as opposed to one with a switching supply. The latter one is supposed to add noise, I understood from various hifi websites.

So I think it's time for a test. I ordered a brand spanking new lineair supply with a DC output of 6V 800mA. The arcam original has 6v 600mA, but I understand it's only necessary to match the voltage supply exactly and the current supply may be higher without any danger (fingers crossed).

When it's in, I'll do a highly subjective comparison between the two supplies and let you know if it's worth the 15 quid I spent on it.

macipod

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi ,

Would be very interested in the results,I was thinking of making an upgrade to the power supply .

Keep us posted

Cheers

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Just had the new linear supply plugged in. My first findings are that the whole sound cleaned up. From high to low, everything has gotten more into focus. For 20 quid that's no mean feat!

To put things into perspective: it's not a night and day difference, but certainly worth more then 20 quid. It makes a dac that's already good, just a bit better.

Wanna listen some more and switch between the old supply and new one to see if I can identify more changes and if it is consistent, ie no placebo.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
This is my 2nd day of comparing: when switching between the original psu and the new one, I must say I'm hard pressed to find any difference (!) Maybe, just maybe the new one is a tad more cleaner, but it seems less then before.

I will listen some more and report my findings...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts