RCA cables

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm planning on seeling the nad and getting a pair of studio monitors in the near future (adam sx series/event opals/something similar). I wanted to know what cables I should use for my dac (arcam rdac, series 1).

I understand the well documented history of arguements, currently I'm using some belikn £5 cables from ebay. Anything suitable, looking at under £30 really, thanks. Was thinking van damme, its £25 I think, but is cheaper possible for the same quality?

I know the current cables are inadequate because I tried using them as links insted of the ones nad uses and the music was quite obviously worse. I was suprised at how bad it made things sound.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You need to think carefully here.

A lot of pro speakers at this level, including the models you mention, are XLR only, some might have 3 pole jacks but few will have phono connections so RCA cables may not be an option.

You may well need a RCA to XLR connection, probably custom made. Bare in mind that it is easy to get the earth connections wrong on a lead of this type.

My choice would be microphone cable, using the two cores as signal send and return and the screen connected to the XLR shell at the speaker end only.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
The Chord Crimson Vee 3 should be a better choice for you .

http://www.chord.co.uk/products/analogue-interconnects-rca/crimson-vee-3/

Or

Atlas Element Integra

http://www.atlascables.com/element-rca-asymmetrical-integra.html

TrevC

alienmango said:
Hi, I'm planning on seeling the nad and getting a pair of studio monitors in the near future (adam sx series/event opals/something similar). I wanted to know what cables I should use for my dac (arcam rdac, series 1).

I understand the well documented history of arguements, currently I'm using some belikn £5 cables from ebay. Anything suitable, looking at under £30 really, thanks. Was thinking van damme, its £25 I think, but is cheaper possible for the same quality?

I know the current cables are inadequate because I tried using them as links insted of the ones nad uses and the music was quite obviously worse. I was suprised at how bad it made things sound.

Interconnects don't suddenly grow magic powers when they cost a lot. Stick with the Belkins, they will be as good as any. Any differences between interconnects are imagined.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
TrevC said:
alienmango said:

Interconnects don't suddenly grow magic powers when they cost a lot. Stick with the Belkins, they will be as good as any. Any differences between interconnects are imagined.

This statement is a complete nonsense .

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
formula-one-drivers-wait-red-lights-go-off-start-chinese-f1-grand-prix-shanghai-international.jpg

abacus

Ignore HI Fi cable manufactures and a lot of HI Fi dealers and instead go down to your local professional music store, as they will be able supply the optimum product for your requirements. (After all it’s what the professional’s uses that produce the music you listen to)

Hope this helps

Bill

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
TrevC said:
alienmango said:

I concur. You could even say that it's clueless and comical.

A

Anderson

Don't get sucked into the audio Foo brigade, these people that tell you that they can hear an obvious difference between cables cannot do the same blind. They might even tell you a story of how their wife noticed a difference and they hadn't even mentioned a cable swap to them.

Let them continue in their beliefs, save your money and put it towards music or better hardware. Anyone that tells you different is a fool.

A

Anderson

abacus said:
Ignore HI Fi cable manufactures and a lot of HI Fi dealers and instead go down to your local professional music store, as they will be able supply the optimum product for your requirements. (After all it’s what the professional’s uses that produce the music you listen to)

Hope this helps

Bill

Exactly. Not an ASI or Kimber cable in sight!

ReValveiT

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Indeed. Do yourself a favour and ignore the marketing tosh.

The people who swear there's a difference wouldn't tell them apart in a blind test because the difference is down to expectation bias.

We know this because there is absolutely zero documented proof that anyone has.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I paid £5 for the RCAs to my speakers. What sort of idiot does this with £3k speakers ?

:)

for or my active DM5s, I had to buy a 10 metre pair, and paid a massive £7.96

TrevC

hifikrazy said:
ISAC69 said:
TrevC said:
alienmango said:

I concur. You could even say that it's clueless and comical.

It's a fact. A line level interconnect is a non-critical application. Any old cable will do the job as well as any other. If it works, it works.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
It's a fact. A line level interconnect is a non-critical application. Any old cable will do the job as well as any other. If it works, it works.

No, that's an opinion, not a fact. Although of course in your world I can see how the two blur.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Spot on, Spiny. He has self proclaimed himself as the leading authority on the subject matter even though he clearly lacks any credibility. I just can't help but imagine what it would be like having to work with a guy like this. No mates obviously.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
Spot on, Spiny. He has self proclaimed himself as the leading authority on the subject matter even though he clearly lacks any credibility. I just can't help but imagine what it would be like having to work with a guy like this. No mates obviously.

I think you should drop the personal attacks! Disagree by all means but this mud throwing is upleasant.

Chris

PS And if you resort to it the implication is that you are losing the argument!

TrevC

spiny norman said:
TrevC said:

No, that's an opinion, not a fact. Although of course in your world I can see how the two blur.

You need to understand electronics to understand why it is a fact, but please, feel free to continue to chuck your cash down the drain and kid yourself there are differences. It's a free country.

TRENDING THREADS