Radio (poss DAB) tuner for my system

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hello... Been a while since i've started a new topic :) Anyways i'm possibly after a radio tunder (possibly DAB) for my system, as below, at the end of the month. Has anyone any suggestions. I've been looking at the Arcam Alpha 10 DAB tuner and also the Denon TU1800DAB tuner (as seen on Superfi). Can anyone else reccommend a decent tuner (i'm fine with 2nd hand, the more money i can save the better to be honest - Must be in good nick though!). I will be listening mainly to BBC Radio 1, 2, 6, Smooth FM and possibly other stations that i've not come across yet!

John Duncan

All of those stations are available on Freeview, in all cases at equal bitrates, and in most cases at better bitrates than DAB. I would therefore at least consider a Freeview box instead of a DAB tuner - or even a PVR to record your favourite shows and pause live radio (though obviously it helps if you have a telly to view the EPG
emotion-2.gif
).

russ74

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Don't laugh but I use a cheap acoustic solutions sp111 I got from argos for £90. It's actually pretty good - decent sound quality and the build quality is better than my nad amp & cd player. It has a few flaws - small display and only 4 presets. It may be possible to get one dirt cheap of eBay.

From what I remember it did get decent reviews in what hifi & other magazines a few years back.

Not sure how it would look with the arcam gear as its a very pale silver colour.

Edit: Though it does sounds rubbish in FM!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]All of those stations are available on Freeview, in all cases at equal bitrates, and in most cases at better bitrates than DAB. I would therefore at least consider a Freeview box instead of a DAB tuner - or even a PVR to record your favourite shows and pause live radio (though obviously it helps if you have a telly to view the EPG
emotion-2.gif
).[/quote] I have some Gothams connecting my Sky HD box with my 840A - had a good loud listening session yesterday - it sounded great.

russ74

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Another option could be to use a small portable dab tuner from pure etc. and connect to the hifi amp using a 3.5mm - rca/phono cable. Then you could move the tuner around with you if you wanted to listen in the garden etc.

A

Anonymous

I bought the Denon a couple of weeks ago and it sounds superb. I have SKY but wanted it in another room.

In the box you get a small DAB aerial which is what I am using at the moment, I am going to put a small DAB aerial on my flat roof , this should give me a sronger signal.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
My first ultra cheap Chili Freeview box from Maplin had a distinctly processed sound, like it was intended to make a mono TV sound impressive. Every other one I've heard sounded fine given the system they were in. You could get a PVR and portable DVD player for seeing schedules for about same cost as Denon DAB. This would give you more flexibility too, and is not as intrusive as a full size TV (especially since you've abandoned your surround system). Of course you would need a TV aerial connection into the room too. I suspect the Denon would look better in the context of your system though. I toyed with the Denon when my Cambridge DAB 500 died on me, but ended up getting the Pure DMX60 mini system instead. I use the digital out into my main system. I was swayed by the EPG and SD card combination on the Pure. As for the Acoustic Solutions, I've seen more broken than working AS gear. When it dies go and spend a few quid on a new one, you can almost buy them for coppers at Cash Converters if you time your purchase right.

A

Anonymous

I am right in thinking its coaxial cable that runs from an aerial to the DAB Tuner ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts