radio from freeveiw

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Doesn't anyone listen to radio using their freeveiw box. I had to, more than usual over the last week after a hiccup with my tele, [actually it was just a senior moment, as i'm getting on a bit], the usual radio2 to start with and then just scrolled through a few channels, and discovered "Mellow Magic". It was absolutely crystal clear with great bass through my Cyrus2 amp, and i knew every song they played. Now i'm not plugging any specific station but the signal was so good, and with many listeners complaining about bit rates, am i the only one who has noticed that it seems to sound better than anything else. Go on, you know it makes sense, have a listem and see what you think.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes, been using it for ages now for BBC radio stations that I can't get on FM, or for recording 'off air' onto the HDD in my DVD recorder for things like radio plays that I want to keep longer than iPlayer keeps them.

Better than DAB and easy to set-up recordings using EPG.

A

Anonymous

Hi Chebby. I didn't know that the beeb had removed any of its stations from the FM waveband. I had read in my other popular hifi mag that the cutoff point for FM was discussed more fully by the powers that be, and 2015 is pie in the sky for switchover, so dont ditch all those analogue sets just yet. Common sense may just have prevailed. YIPPEE

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
beedee:Hi Chebby. I didn't know that the beeb had removed any of its stations from the FM waveband.

They haven't.

But BBC Radio 7 and 6 Music and (daytime) World Service have only ever been available on DAB or Freeview.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
All my radio listening comes from my freeview box connected to the DAC in my 740C and I think it sounds great. The proms and the festival coverage on the BBC sounds great to me too.

A

Anonymous

Hi Bay, What a good idea plumbing it into the dac, i'll put mine into my marantz 6000se K1 and see what happens. This could be interesting. Now thinking fitting the PSX back on to the Cyrus2 for a bit of extra dynamics and weight. I'm really going to enjoy this, might get my guitar back out and dust it off for a bit of nostalgia. cheers

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
beedee:Hi Bay, What a good idea plumbing it into the dac, i'll put mine into my marantz 6000se K1 and see what happens.

This was the reason I got my Beresford DAC back at the beginning of last year. My previous DAC didn't have optical inputs and I wanted to see if Freeview radio would sound better connected thus (rather than via the Panasonic's RCA phono outputs).

I found a great improvement. I suppose it depends on the quality of the analogue output stage of your Freeview box vs that inside your Marantz.

[Edit} However, I am suprised you can use the Marantz 6000 OSE KI in this manner (plugging in external digital sources), as I thought CD players of this vintage didn't have the capability.

You may find you will need an external, standalone DAC.

Get a good one like the new Arcam rDac - with, coax, optical and usb - and it will upgrade the output from your Marantz (coax), and give you better Freeview radio (optical connection),and be able to get high qualiity sound from your computer (USB), all in one go!

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
beedee:Hi Bay, What a good idea plumbing it into the dac, i'll put mine into my marantz 6000se K1 and see what happens.

This was the reason I got my Beresford DAC back at the beginning of last year. My previous DAC didn't have optical inputs and I wanted to see if Freeview radio would sound better connected thus (rather than via the Panasonic's RCA phono outputs).

I found a great improvement. I suppose it depends on the quality of the analogue output stage of your Freeview box vs that inside your Marantz.

[Edit} However, I am suprised you can use the Marantz 6000 OSE KI in this manner (plugging in external digital sources), as I thought CD players of this vintage didn't have the capability.

You may find you will need an external, standalone DAC.

Get a good one like the new Arcam rDac - with, coax, optical and usb - and it will upgrade the output from your Marantz (coax), and give you better Freeview radio (optical connection),and be able to get high qualiity sound from your computer (USB), all in one go!

I think Chebby could be right, the 740C is the only low (ish) priced CD player that I know of that will let you use the DAC for external digital sources although there are some more springing up (Audiolab for example). Still the freeview box sounds good just through RCA.

A

Anonymous

Hi Bay, seems i got a bit too excited about getting the guitar out, as you rightly stated you cant use the Marantz as an external DAC, but i will keep my eye open on fleabay to see if anything sensible comes up at a reasonable cost. If i stop buying all the cyrus2's i should be able to afford that Arcam. I have owned some of their stuff like the Alpha10 and the Alpha8 amp [i think] and they weren't too bad, but not a patch on the cyrus2 psx combo.

DKennedy

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
chebby:

beedee:Hi Chebby. I didn't know that the beeb had removed any of its stations from the FM waveband.

They haven't.

But BBC Radio 7 and 6 Music and (daytime) World Service have only ever been available on DAB or Freeview.

not forgetting TMS on five live xtra. much better than LW and no shipping reports to spoil an over.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts