R3 or R5

tosh

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I'm thinking of swapping my IQ5's for the Rega's and was wondering if the R3's would fill the room in comparison to the Kef's or would I need their bigger brother's?The room is 4mx5m.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
I can't believe I'm beating Drummerman to it, but he would say the R3. Read my post, we are basically in the same situation. What kind of music do you listen to? They are amazing speakers, aren't they?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tosh"]Hi, I'm thinking of swapping my IQ5's for the Rega's and was wondering if the R3's would fill the room in comparison to the Kef's or would I need their bigger brother's?The room is 4mx5m.[/quote]

I would be tempted to go for the R5s because the R3s are quite small. It depends on what height you listen at too, because the Rega's tweeter is mounted below the woofer.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Small with a big sound. R3's should be fine for your room but it can't hurt to try both if you have the opportunity. The bigger model is voiced the same but there's obviously slightly more of everything. As a consequence it looses a fraction of the agility of the R3's but it is a lovely speaker too and fine material value. At that price also consider ProAc Studios.

The low tweeters are no problem because they sound so open but we normally put them on nice granite slabs. This is more for de-coupling than anything else.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tosh"]Hi, I'm thinking of swapping my IQ5's for the Rega's and was wondering if the R3's would fill the room in comparison to the Kef's or would I need their bigger brother's?The room is 4mx5m.[/quote]

My R3's are currently filling 14mx13 quite easily. If you can, try and audition both though.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="chiefbrody"][quote user="tosh"]Hi, I'm thinking of swapping my IQ5's for the Rega's and was wondering if the R3's would fill the room in comparison to the Kef's or would I need their bigger brother's?The room is 4mx5m.[/quote] My R3's are currently filling 14mx13 quite easily. If you can, try and audition both though[/quote]

14x13m?! Blimey, you must be living over the pond or in the albert hall. That is a good size room and even I would have second thoughts on choosing the 3's in your case.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="batonwielder"]You should definitely try to raise the speakers so the woofer would level with your listening height. It make a lot of difference.[/quote]

I found that extending the front spikes and tilting the speaker back gave a good improvement in sound. Bass was improved. Please ignore my previous post about room dimensions. I must have been drinking. Those measurements are in feet not metres!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts