Quiet surround sound, no sub please

monoman

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I once owned a home cinema system but unfortunately my problem with it was that the subwoofer 'boom' always imposed too much. That also occurred when trying to play music through the system - on the 'stereo' setting using the front two satellites and the sub for the bass sounds. It sounded foul to the point of being offensive - far too 'boomy'. The 5 speakers and wires was to imposing aswell. So, I got rid of it.

I've heard more recent home cinema systems playing music and they still sound awful. Also, when playing a movie, the sub can still punch too much and is something that would annoy other people in my house. In a larger room they probably sound fine. the room I would use it in is 12x14 feet.

Is there a 2 speaker system or set-up that allows me to watch a film in surround sound that does not mean the whole of my house, and neighbours, have to listen to it too and that if I want to play music it can play through those same two speakers. My dream would be something like the latest Denon home cinema system that used just two speakers - no sub - with the bass coming from the woofers in them for stereo playback or for the bass channels in virtual surround mode. The nearest I can think of is the Teac DRH 300 or an av receiver and two good speakers.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Why bother with virtual surround? Why not just connect the stereo outputs on your DVD player to a conventional stereo amp, and use it with a pair of speakers?

The virtual surround solutions are, at best, a poor attempt at creating the impression of speakers all around you, and you might just be better off sticking to stereo.

John Duncan

Or a) just not have a sub, and b) set your amp to have limited dynamic range (often called 'late night listening' mode or some such). I too hate that bang-crash sub thing, and have had good results with just stereo fronts and rears, no sub or centre - whether the centre will make a difference will depend on how close the fronts are to the telly and how offset your listening position is.

monoman

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I do put the audio out from my dvd player into my Denon mini system and listen to the films through the stereo speakers and it is quite good. I have tried putting the signal (via splitter phono cables) into the tv at the same time so I can also get a kind of centre channel (the hi-fi's speakers are two feet either side of the tv) but I get a slight fraction of a second delay on the sound coming through the stereo system. Can't think of a way to cure that?

The other option is possibly to do with away with the hifi and have a Yamaha sound bar to play music through and film surround soundtracks. I could possibly then simply use a dvd player that also plays cd relatively well too? Any solutions?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts