quiet Raid 1 external drives

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

Any thoughts on quiet raid1 external USB2 or Firewire800 external drives, something that is same-room-quiet perhaps. I'm figuring out potential layouts and drive noise is a significant issue. Want Raid 1 (mirroring) for safety.  

Thanks for creating this forum

cheers

Gavin 

A

Anonymous

We use a couple of networked Lacie 2big at work and they've been faultless and quiet running 24/7 for over a year. People dislike Lacie because of the forum horror stories but that's only because there are so many of them out there. At home I've got a Thecus N5200 which I haven't seen in a few of months due to being in my cupboard.

A

Anonymous

hmm networked is an idea, I'd been looking at local firewire 800 drives to allow for shared use as a photograph store too,

Lightroom is hard on disks, more thought and opinions required

cheers

ÿ

John Duncan

Question - how does Lightroom manage images? I use Aperture (same idea obv) and storing the library on mirrored external drives is a pain, since the Aperture Library contains the photos as well as the edits - I had to make all the files "referenced" instead of "managed", so that the files were external and the library metadata was backed up separate from the images.

I only ask since what you're suggesting may take you down a road you may not want to go down. You could search "NAS Lightroom" on dpreview to see if there are any gotchas.....

A

Anonymous

zzgavin:
Answering my own question

ÿ

Excuse em moi? I like to think I there somewhere around 66% with the 2big.

A

Anonymous

oops sorry octopo

ÿstarted looking on google for quiet drives, found that review and forgot you'd mentioned them already

thanks

gavinÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts