Quick question - quick answer please?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Can I use my little dot mk3 as a pre-amp for my Roksan power amp? I've heard it can't be used on some power amp. Any ideas folks? people are coming over tonight so though I'd let them listen to some valve..ish (pre-amp)

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
tried it but no go, why? I have the output of the little dot connected to the power amp input and the pure output connected to the little dot input? what am I doing wrong?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
lonely boy said:
What model power amp are you using, is it direct coupled?

You're getting sound through your phones?
it's the roksan kandy L3 power amp - not sure what direct coupled means...? if I use the little as stand alone I get sound from my headphones :)

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
There is a possibility that dc from the LD's output is triggering the protection circuitry in your power amp.

Basically, when you switch on the Little Dot the output caps will need time to charge up, until then they will pass dc voltage which will very likely damage your speakers/headphones, the caps are there to block it and just allow ac through.

A directly coupled amp has no capacitors in the signal path, so some manufacturers fit protection to prevent damage, this may be the cause of your trouble.

Did you allow the LD to warm up for a few minutes beforehand?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
lonely boy said:
There is a possibility that dc from the LD's output is triggering the protection circuitry in your power amp.

Basically, when you switch on the Little Dot the output caps will need time to charge up, until then they will pass dc voltage which will very likely damage your speakers/headphones, the caps are there to block it and just allow ac through.

A directly coupled amp has no capacitors in the signal path, so some manufacturers fit protection to prevent damage, this may be the cause of your trouble.

Did you allow the LD to warm up for a few minutes beforehand?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts