Quick question about SBT

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I want to buy some hi res music, it will be downloaded to my iMac onto Songbird, then I want to stream these 24/96 files to a SBT that will be connected to my Rega DAC downstairs....

Will there be any shortcomings? Will the 24/96 datastream be ok over wireless?

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
You won't get any SQ problems, as long as you've got a reasonably strong signal it'll work just fine. The worst that will happen is rebuffering issues if your wireless connection is too weak.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is. Bandwidth over wifi is (on average) more than enough for HD audio. I still advise a cable though.

Do you already have made up a list of HD audio you want to get?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
spockfish said:
Yes it is. Bandwidth over wifi is (on average) more than enough for HD audio. I still advise a cable though.

Do you already have made up a list of HD audio you want to get?

i have been looking on linn records and another German site and there is a quite a bit of stuff that I would like to get!

stuff by rem, Madonna, bob Marley any recommendations?

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
... any recommendations?

Yes, make sure hi-res is worth it. Get a free hi-res recording, downsample it to 44.1KHz and then compare with the original. If you can hear a difference, buy hi-res, if not, save yourself the bother. My experience is that I can't tell them apart, YMMV.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi stevebrock,

Just listening to a 24/96 download of 'Two Against Nature' by Steely Dan from 'the German site'. It sounds good...... Very good ...... (but only if you like Steely Dan of course),

Ped

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
The rega will handle 24/96 and 24/192 through the coaxial input.

why would I downsample

Hi, is that question related to my post? If so, before you spend money, I was suggesting you downsample just once, to test you can hear a difference.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
The rega will handle 24/96 and 24/192 through the coaxial input.

why would I downsample

As a test to see if you can tell any difference between that and 16 bit tracks, which will generally be cheaper. There is a flaw in the theory though, in that 24 bit downloads are often mastered differently from the cd or 16 bit version so they will sound different. Paul McCartney even offered two different masterings of Band on the Run, with different dynamic ranges, depending on the listeners preference.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Buy Kate Bush' 50 words of snow directly from her website. It's 24/96, and it's one-on-one copy of the studio master. Therefore it's also 'softer' (volume wise) than the CD.

It's an awesome HD recording.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
spockfish said:
Buy Kate Bush' 50 words of snow directly from her website. It's 24/96, and it's one-on-one copy of the studio master. Therefore it's also 'softer' (volume wise) than the CD.

It's an awesome HD recording.

i have got the cd, I actually find it bass heavy especially track 1, great cd though

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Will the SBT be a good match for the Rega DAC?

Hell yeah!

It might take a bit of tweaking however as I am only just now happy with setup.

Boy I am utterly amazed how good it sounds now. Vocal are spookily in the room and very well balanced sound with nice soundstage.

I have greatly improved through mains conditioning however and I also consider the sbooster essential.

If ever near Colchester welcome to a listen!

Ambrose

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts