quick question about DAC volume levels

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi

currently i am using my AV receiver to convert the SPDIF digital signal from my computer and then i use the AVR's preamp outs to feed the analogue signal into my headphone amp.

I am strongly considering upgrading to an external DAC (beresford tc-7520 of dacmagic im thinking) to feed the headphone amp. Will i still need to preamp the signal from the DAC before passing it into the headamp? because currently if i turn my AVR preamp down past around -38 the headphones are too quiet

thanks

A

Anonymous

Shouldn't think so.

I have a DacMagic connected via phono leads into a Graham Slee Solo headphone amp and it I rarely turn it beyond 10 O'clock. The sound is unbelievable.

idc

No, the signal is source to DAC in the digital domain then DAC to amp in analogue and it is only in the amp that the volume is adjusted. Before that it is just a signal. Your headphone amp is presently piggy backing your AV amp. If you get a DAC then it is your source to the DAC to the headphone amp. Many headphone amps can also act as a preamp or have a line through to piggy back other amps to increase their flexibility in fitting in with other systems.

You will find different headphones and different amps all have different volume settings depending on the voltage from source to amp and the load the headphones present to the amp. I have to adjust my headphone amps volume setting anywhere between 7 and 1 o'clock depending on what headphones I am using.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts