Questions for Rick at Musicraft

ajmjcowan

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rick,

I was hoping you could help me with the following questions:

1) I have a Plinius 9200 which I'm very happy with, however I've always been intigued by Naim amps. I've only ever briefly heard Naim amps in stores but found I quite liked what I heard on each occassion (each time in all Naim systems). I've been tempted on several occassions to buy a used NAC122x and NAP150x or Nait 5i just to see how they would sound in my system. As you stock both brands I was wondering if you might be able to provide some thoughts on how the general sound of the Naim amps might compare with my Plinius.

2) Based on your experience of the Rega DAC, do you think it performs better than the typical circa £1,000 CD player (CD8SE, CD37 etc). Also on the off chance you're familiar with my current DAC, do you think the Rega DAC or one of these CD players would offer a reasonable improvement over my current DAC which is now getting on 10 years old (I'm wondering how much DAC technology has moved on in this time). Similar to the situation above, I'm tempted to buy used CD players/DACs in this price range, just to see how they compare.

Thanks in advance for your advice, hopefully it may save me the hassle of buying and on-selling gear just to satisfy my curiosities.

Andy

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
As someone else posted recently, the contact email and phone details for Rick are on the Musicraft website, perhaps getting in touch with the man directly might be a more appropriate and usual way of doing business? Or just post a question about Plinius and Naim since he's likely to reply at some point. This after all is the what hifi forum, not the free Musicraft advice centre.

ajmjcowan

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
datay said:
As someone else posted recently, the contact email and phone details for Rick are on the Musicraft website, perhaps getting in touch with the man directly might be a more appropriate and usual way of doing business? Or just post a question about Plinius and Naim since he's likely to reply at some point. This after all is the what hifi forum, not the free Musicraft advice centre.

The reason I posted it on this forum in this manner is that my questions aren't business related. I am just interested in picking Rick's brain as a fellow forum member as I feel he is probably the best placed member on the forum to answer my questions - the aim of which would be to prevent me from spending any money as noted in my post, so unlikely to be considered a business enquiry I would've thought. I'm unsure how this would differ to me asking a question of any other specific (non-dealer) forum member based on their known experience with particular gear, which I asume would be acceptable.

However, if I was genuinely interested in buying some new gear from a dealer (Rick or otherwise), then I agree that contacting them directly would be appropriate than using this forum.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
ajmjcowan said:
datay said:

The reason I posted it on this forum in this manner is that my questions aren't business related. I am just interested in picking Rick's brain as a fellow forum member as I feel he is probably the best placed member on the forum to answer my questions - the aim of which would be to prevent me from spending any money as noted in my post, so unlikely to be considered a business enquiry I would've thought. I'm unsure how this would differ to me asking a question of any other specific (non-dealer) forum member based on their known experience with particular gear, which I asume would be acceptable.

However, if I was genuinely interested in buying some new gear from a dealer (Rick or otherwise), then I agree that contacting them directly would be appropriate than using this forum.
Exactly. Well put fella. Datay, mind your own business.

A

Anonymous

Disagree. An email to Rick would probably be the best way to get the information the OP requires. He only wants to address the questions to Rick after all, and not throw it open for forum members to discuss.

A

Anonymous

Grottyash said:
Disagree. An email to Rick would probably be the best way to get the information the OP requires. He only wants to address the questions to Rick after all, and not throw it open for forum members to discuss.
but then other forum members won't get to see ricks answer.

A

Anonymous

True, but it's such a specific question I'm not sure how many are familiar with the equipment (excepting the DAC) anyway. Anyway, no doubt Rick himself will respond to-morrow - hopefully he's having a weekend away from the rigours of the HiFi trade
smiley-smile.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:
ajmjcowan said:
datay said:

Bretty,
Are you psyching yourself up for the Hastings half marathon or something?? :bigsmile:

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65 said:
bretty said:
ajmjcowan said:
datay said:

Bretty, Are you psyching yourself up for the Hastings half marathon or something?? :bigsmile:

Hell no, Mitch! I can think of much better (read: lazier) ways to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday :) Todays plans involve not leaving the sofa much, watching a couple of flicks (gonna start with 'London Boulevard', methinks) eating some rubbish food and then having a few voddies tonight.

So, tell me some good news about your TecnoArm, please?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:
mitch65 said:
bretty said:
ajmjcowan said:
datay said:

Bretty, Are you psyching yourself up for the Hastings half marathon or something?? :bigsmile:

Hell no, Mitch! I can think of much better (read: lazier) ways to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday :) Todays plans involve not leaving the sofa much, watching a couple of flicks (gonna start with 'London Boulevard', methinks) eating some rubbish food and then having a few voddies tonight.

So, tell me some good news about your TecnoArm, please?

And what good news would this be exactly? Spoke to Hifix on Wednesday and apparently Michell were waiting on a couple of parts, how that explains you getting yours first when you ordered yours after mine is a little beyond me but hey, what would I know? I think because of this I have been on a bit of a spending spree with new amps and waiting on a custom made plinth for the thorens which is due on Tuesday so plenty to keep me busy :) in the words of Guiness "I'm not bitter'.........

ajmjcowan said:
Hi Rick,

I was hoping you could help me with the following questions:

1) I have a Plinius 9200 which I'm very happy with, however I've always been intigued by Naim amps. I've only ever briefly heard Naim amps in stores but found I quite liked what I heard on each occassion (each time in all Naim systems). I've been tempted on several occassions to buy a used NAC122x and NAP150x or Nait 5i just to see how they would sound in my system. As you stock both brands I was wondering if you might be able to provide some thoughts on how the general sound of the Naim amps might compare with my Plinius.

2) Based on your experience of the Rega DAC, do you think it performs better than the typical circa £1,000 CD player (CD8SE, CD37 etc). Also on the off chance you're familiar with my current DAC, do you think the Rega DAC or one of these CD players would offer a reasonable improvement over my current DAC which is now getting on 10 years old (I'm wondering how much DAC technology has moved on in this time). Similar to the situation above, I'm tempted to buy used CD players/DACs in this price range, just to see how they compare.

Thanks in advance for your advice, hopefully it may save me the hassle of buying and on-selling gear just to satisfy my curiosities.

Andy

Hi Andy

I am sorry for not replying sooner as i was busy yesterday.

Anyway, you've already got superb components and i would sugget that you carry on using them unless you are happy to consider -

1) Plinius Hiato, Plinius M8/P10 or Naim's NAC 282/Hi Cap/NAP 250

2) Chord Electronics QBD76 DAC

3) ATC SCM40 monitors

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts