Questions about Laptop, HDMI and sound quality

DavidinMexico

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to make sure my understanding is correct for the following situation. I have a LG BD670 BluRay player hooked into a Denon AVR 891 and a LG LCD TV. Before, I was playing all of my digital music on the LG player using either CDs or playing off of a USB drive. My understanding is that since the BluRay player is connected via HDMI to the Denon, that no DAC processing is being done on the LG player, that the AVR is doing the processing. Is this correct?

Recently I've downloaded JRiver Media Center to my laptop and I'm running the laptop to the TV via HDMI, and the TV sound to the AVR via optical (TOSLINK). My question is, is that in both cases, since a digital stream is being sent to the AVR, the first from a BluRay player and the second from a Laptop, shouldn't the sound be fairly equal since in both cases the AVR is doing the digital to analog conversion? Or is there something I'm missing, such as is the signal being degraded by running the signal to the TV before reaching the AVR?

Thanks in advance for your help

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
DavidinMexico said:
such as is the signal being degraded by running the signal to the TV before reaching the AVR?

more than likely yes.

Plug it straight in to the amp if you want a direct comparison.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts