Question to Matthewpiano

Hi Matt

Obviously you rate the Rotel 965BX highly, so in your opinion what is the modern equivalent in SQ terms? Or to aim the question more directly: How does it compare with the Arcam CD73?

Haven't heard my 975 for ages (lurking somewhere in the attic) but I know that when compared to the RCD-06, the 975 wiped the floor with it. To match the 975 I heard the RCD-1072 (?) and the Exposure which was a decent step up.

The 975 had improved detail retrieval and dynamics over the Arcam, but lacked some of the big-boned heft of the Arcam. Only by a whisker though...

General overview of the 965BX, please.*

Cheers Matthew.

*Have heard the 965 but only in a shop environment.

matthewpiano

Hi PP.

Yes, I do rather rate the Rotel. To the point where I've currently got a K2 CDS here as well and I prefer the Rotel at the moment. I've had the Rotel for some time (originally bought from Steve's Hi-Fi) and its kept coming back into service - much like NAD amps!

The Rotel is a musically engaging and punchy sounding CD player, very fluid and natural sounding and with a great sense of rhythm. Its hard to compare to the CD73T because it has been a while since I had the Arcam. The Arcam is a great CD player IMO, but I always found there was a thickening of sound in the lower midrange that could make things sound big boned but ultimately a little on lacking in rhythm. I'd say this is one of the reasons why I would rather have the Rotel.

Compared to the K2 CDS, the Rotel doesn't round every corner off in the same way and yet it never gets hard or overly bright either. The detail is there, laid out in front of you and whereas the attack of some instruments can get fudged over by the Roksan, the Rotel judges things better. Ultimately the Rotel reproduces the characteristics of instruments and voices more naturally and more convincingly.

I'm sure it would be possible to better the Rotel but I'm not sure how much it would cost.

I'm not familiar with the RCD-975 but I'd be surprised if it sounding wildly different to the '965 - perhaps Rick from Musicraft can help here. Why not dig your Rotel out and give it another try?

Very interesting in comparing with the Kandy. I had my Rotel for 9 years before the mechanism went pear-shaped, and purchased it s/hand (£170) from an ex-manager.

Yup, I'll have to try retrieve my one, but some blithering idiot (finger pointing in my direction) has placed it at the far side of the loft.

I've only heard the Rotel, at length, with my old Arcams (Alpha 7 and A65+).

Thanx. pp

Totally understand Matthew. Had a similar situation recently when I had the Rega Apollo. Technically, the Rega is a better machine but with my set-up the Arcam's slightly roll-off top-end sounds right.

Not heard the K2 CDP but the K2 amp is fabulous for the money, although to my ears, doesn't have that 'puppy' snap of the earlier LIII.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts