Question on watching PS3 on TV in 2nd zone

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
Youngest son is receiving a PS3 for Xmas. While it will sit in the main room and be connected to the TV via HDMI running through my Onkyo 875 I also want to direct the output to a second TV.

There are a couple of issues I see. Firstly said second TV lacks both component and HDMI inputs and secondly the 2nd zone s-video outputs on the Onk do not output signals input on HDMI or component.

So the plan is as follows:

1. In addition to wiring the PS3 into the Onk with HDMI I also plan to run the std AV connection from the PS3 to a separate set of unused inputs.

2. The second zone will be set up to receive this input.

3. When we want to play games / watch movies in the 2nd zone I will manually switch the output of the PS3 from HDMI to AV-out.

4. I could just run the AV direct to the TV and bypass the Onk altogether but we may use the wiring in future to pass other inputs to the 2nd zone so I would prefer an approach that does utilise the 2nd zone feature of the Onkyo. 

The questions I have are as follows. Hopefully someone out there can answer.

1. Any issues you see with this approach?

2. The cable from the Onk to the TV will be a 10m one. Will a reasonable enough signal survive a cable run of this length?

3. Is there a better way anyone can suggest? 

TIA. 

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
Or perhaps suggest a more suitable forum ?

I have been over to PS3Forums but am somewhat put off by the need to make 25 posts before I can start a thread.ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I read through this post and think what you are planning should work, but I can't guarantee it! I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't though...
Clearly though, the quality of the signal through a 10m composite cable is going to be pretty poor I would think, especially compared to the HD picture in the main room. Remember you'll have to change the PS3 so it's sending the signal out at 576p to the other room rather than 720p / 1080i / 1080p you have it currently set at.

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
Thanks prof. Looks like you are of a similar mind on this one. I will press on and buy the necessary cables.

Mostly the kids watching/playing in 'zone 2' so quality not so much of an issue.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just a thought, if you have any spare shorter composite / RCA cables, you could bring the TV into the main room just to test it all first. Or if you have a friend who, like me, inexplicably has loads of all different types of cables sitting in a bag which you can borrow...

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
Good point. May mean a hernia as it's a 36" CRT but good point.

Seriously though, good point. I will figure out a way to try that without risking serious injury before I shell out on the cables.ÿ

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
Prof, one final question on this. Do you know if I have both the av-out and the HDMI cables connected if the PS3 will:
  • output to one only and if so which one?
  • output to both but need to be switched manually if I want to swap zones?
Also, if I take the digital-out into the Beresford too will I have any issues having all three outputs connected up simultaneously ?

Cheers.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay, wasn't 100% sure on this so just tried it. Had the PS3 hooked into my standard TV via HDMI and to another CRT via the AV multi out. Switched it on and it only had a picture on the HDTV through the HDMI as per the normal setting. I then went into Display Settings and set the Video Output Settings to AV MULTI OUT / SCART and the display disappeared from my HDTV and appeared on the standard CRT. So you can only have it set to one at one time.
Haven't got the ability to test the optical, but I'd be 99.99% sure it was the same i.e. you can either have it set to HDMI output or Optical output, but not both. There'd be no issue with them all connected up at the same time though, it would just be a question of flicking through the wizard to output to whichever device you want.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

If son is receiving the PS3 is there any reason why it's being put in a different room?

Is there any reason why, if it has to be in 'zone 1' you cannot invest in a shorter run of cables and shift the PS3 to 'zone 2' for the duration of 'playing time'?

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts