question on upscaling and video processing

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi. I'm sure someone will know the answer to this....

If you have a very good upscaling DVD player and feed the signal through an upscaling AV receiver, does the signal get processed twice? Does the AV receiver try to upscale or alter the already upscaled image? Could the picture suffer from over-processing? If the upscaler in your DVD player is BETTER than the upscaler in the AV Receiver, does the AV Receiver recognise this and not process it at all or try and add it's own mark on it?

A lot of questions, I know, but I'm sure someone will know the answer straight away...

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Within the set-up of a typical AVR, you can tell it what to do in such circumstances, even specific instructions for each selected input - so you can choose to upscale (to varying degrees), pass-through or even downscale the signal it receives...

Generally, if a receiver senses an upscaled signal at 1080p from say a upscaling DVD player, it will pass the signal through without touching it... ÿ

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Excellent, thanks Andrew. So presumably, if the scaler in the amp is better than the one in your DVD player, it will touch the image up? Is it it's job to makes sure the picture is within certain parameters and alters anything outside those parameters?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not if it's already upscaled, not. Best bet is to set the DVD to output non-upscaled, run it through the upscaling amp/receiver, and see which you prefer.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I keep reading threads that say the 2500 is average at best on SD. If only the 3800 was cheap enough to actually be owned by anyone!

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Davo2008:Will do, thanks. Which do you think would be better? The Denon 2500bt or the HQV Reon inside the Onkyo 876?

I have read quite a few opinions (on other forums) of people being underwhelmed by the upscaling of the Denon 2500BT as it is primarily a Blu-ray transport. The HQV Reon has a very good reputation on the other hand.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I know. What makes one person say "scintillating" and the other "average"? Would it be a callibration issue? Or other settings on either the player or your TV? One thing's for certain, the "average" comment is by no means a lone opinion. It honestly seems it has about 80% of the vote - although maybe the negative comments are the only things people bring to forums...

A

Anonymous

Davo2008:....If only the 3800 was cheap enough toÿactually be owned by anyone!

Oh I think there will be enough....My only concern is whether it actually plays the majority of discs unlike it's smaller brother...!

As for SD performance on the 2500, I'm surprised by any lukewarm reports, as I thought the opposite was true, although this is not from my eyes I should say....Perhaps this is relative performance with other BD players and a good upscaling DVD player still wins the day, I don't know....ÿ

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
They're saying it should be set to output at 576i and have all the video processing done off-board. It's almost impossible to get a universal opinion so I guess it comes ddown to taking a punt and hoping for the best! I wonder if the Realta can be purchased separately as a middle-man for a cheaper price than 3800? That would also work to give you the best SD pictures, if possible, wouldn't it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts