question for some clever folk - on biamp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Would it be necceary to run the same power to the tweeters as the bass & mids on a biamp configuration?

My thinking is no, I would say a 100watt amp to the tweeters and a 200watt amp to the bass & mids is plenty enough.

A

Anonymous

Welcome to the What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision forums, 0948!

Different power is fine, but the gain has to be the same. You have to have both amplifiers outputting the same level, otherwise it'll be horrendous. If you are only using two seperate intergrated amplifiers, then my advice is to go against it, unless their gain can be set the same.

If that's no problem, then I would say use the more powerful amplifier for the bass/mids and the lesser for the treble, as you said.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:What the proprietor said...

So Andrew, how do you feel about working for somebody so much younger than yourself?
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Hughes123, Thanks for the straight to point answer, is there an easy way to measure the gain

or can I asume that two power amps should have the same gain when driven by a preamp.

[generaly speaking]

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
if the two power amps are from the same manufacturere they will prob have the same gain - not always the case but can think of many examples where they are

alternatively you need to buy one power amp that has adjustable gain - the roksan kandy kit does - you may be able to find a chaep mkIII version around

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
In very general terms, the integrated amps and power amps from the same manufacturer's series tend to be gain-matched.

Which amps are you considering?

A

Anonymous

Marantz av amp 110 Watt and a Lyndgorf SDA2175 200watt power amp, speakers quad 22L

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
as above won't work well - does the marantz have front pre outs? if so you would be better off running those to the power amp and just connecing your front speakers to the power amp - not biamping

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts