Question about Onkyo TX-NR515 FLAC capability over DLNA NAS

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Currently I have an LG N2R1 NAS box which is a certified DLNA server (also runs squeezebox server and can run Twonky) and all my music rests on it as FLAC files. A Squeezebox Touch is connected to the NAS box over ethernet and plays my FLAC using the Squeezebox Server (pumps it into the Onkyo A9155 amp's analog input).

I am planning to buy an Onkyo TX-NR515 receiver and dispose off my Squeezebox Touch and the A9155, hoping to play FLAC directly on the receiver.

In the user manual for the NR515, in the "Supported Audio File Format" section, there is a note "With remote playback, the AV receiver does not support the following music file formats: FLAC and Ogg Vorbis".

In the "network" section in the manual, there are two sub-headings about "Server Playback" and "Remote Playback", but no explanation of these. There is also a note under "Server Playback" that reads "
Depending on the media server, the AV receiver may notrecognize it, or may not be able to play its music files
Depending on the media server, the AV receiver may not recognize it, or may not be able to play its music files".

Can somebody please explain what the difference is between these two playback modes, and confirm whether my proposed setup will work.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I think they are saying that some servers like mediaplayer 12 do not support flac.

But if your NAS has a mediaserver that does support flac you will be fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts