Quell my madness

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Picked up a 55inch Samsung and now wondering whether I should have bought a 65inch! I sit about 10ft from my TV. Is it worth returning and buying the bigger model or am I being ridiculous!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That certainly would be the cheaper option :) I guess I want to know what advantage, if any there is in having a bigger tv? Given the distance.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
In my case you're talking to someone who is wondering if 37" would be too big next time we upgrade in a few years. (When the 5 year warranty runs out.)

65" (or even 55") would turn our living room into a TV room and would be an enormous, unsightly, expensive, black rectangle for about 22 hours a day.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I had a 50" plasma and I would say, if you want to go bigger than your 55" tv, it's got to be a projector. Much more bang for your buck. Also, if you sit 10 feet away from a 65" tv, the picture will look terrible. You don't have that issue with projectors. I sit 9 feet away from my 106" screen and it looks stonkingly good. A proper cinema experience.

£1500 would get you everything: an Optoma HD33 projector, screen, mount and all cables.

Just food for thought.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I have to agree with bretty, stick with your 55" if you want bigger then go with a projector, having said that when i got my 46" i wish i had gone for a 50".

You have to ask yourself will you be saying the same thing next year or in several years, if the answer is yes then go for the 65".

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW. I'm 15 feet from a 60" and feel it's about right......so I'd say it's OTT to go for the 65"......I'm sure you could put the cash saved to better use! :twisted:

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with the projector idea, however the problem would be light, this is my living room where natural light would make it unuasable. I am starting to calm down on the idea of a bigger screen because as many have said it would take over my livingroom and I am not gaining much by changing it.

In a few years I want to convert my Loft into a cinema room. Then I believe it will be a prjector, probably a 4k - 8k capable one.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
For what its worth i would have a tv for normal viewing and a projector for films.

I havn't the room,or the money for this of course,but it sounds like you have :rofl:

ps:looking forward to your review of the oppo :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Currently my TV sits in the bay window, I would jump on a projector if I could have a dedicated room that can shun light. I will do my best with the Oppo, I am going to unplug my LX54 and take it with me to the demo room ;)

jabirugpa

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Just to put the other side of the discussion: I recently moved my Panasonic GT50 into another room and replaced it with a Panasonic ST65 - by the way we sit with our eyes about 10 feet from the screen in that room. Watching standard definition is OK (very watchable), the 65" Panasonic does its best to upscale and does a pretty good job with it. HD broadcasts are very good and BluRay is terrific as you would expect.

I've only had the 65" for a couple of weeks or so, it hasn't settled down yet. Even so I am extremely pleased with the picture quality and am amazed that a set of this size and quality could be bought for less than £1,900. If you don't want to install a projector and fancy a larger screen I would definitely try to get a proper demo of any of the new big sets that take your fancy, maybe even the VT65?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The VT65 is beautiful, It was on my list of TV's, I only opted for the LED because I play Games and have PC connected to it, so it makes sense to buy LED. On this occassion I have cooled on the idea of a bigger screen. But having said this I am looking at some plans to have a loft conversion where it will become my Cinema room. Only for this reason have I cooled on the idea.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I well remember the days when a 26” CRT was considered a whopper!

And when I first set eyes on a Sony 32” WEGA that was literally jaw dropping (and not only size wise, but PQ wise too). I would have loved a 50 inch over my 42 but no way could I afford it, but no way am I complaining as I’ve still got an amazing telly. :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
duaplex said:
Picked up a 55inch Samsung and now wondering whether I should have bought a 65inch! I sit about 10ft from my TV. Is it worth returning and buying the bigger model

Yes.

Hello duaplex,

I'm going to agree with the spirit of what jabirugpa said. I have a 64" Samsung in the parlour and a 60" LG60PZ950T television in the kitchen (I need to change my signature). I watch both from about nine to ten feet, and I certainly would not have them any smaller. Most recently I used to have the 50" Pioneer that is mentioned in my signature in the kitchen, and I did begin to think that it was looking a bit small, and the current 60" LG is certainly better in terms of size (and sharpness, if not for black level). Spend the extra grand and go for the 65" version of your current 55" TV. You'll notice the difference initially, but within a fortnight you'll get used to it. Then try going back to a 55" set, and it will seem small!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Son of SJ. I have cooled on the idea, only because my bay window would be non existant and all natural light blocked out :) But in the future and certainly with the 4k sets or 8k I will be going bigger.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts