Quality of Internet Radio

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
My Roksan F.M tuner has developed a fault. Not sure whether it is cost effective to get it repaired ,once I factor in a return to the manufacturer ( which they have advised)
Wondering whether this would be a good point to change to an Internet/DAB/ Streaming device such at the Marantz 7004.
LIstened to DAB through theT.V today and it was painful to listen to, can anyone tell me whether Internet radio is any better and are there any alternatives to the Marantz.
Best wishes
Paul

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
When you say you listened to DAB through the TV, do you mean there is a DAB tuner in your TV or you listened to the radio via digital TV tuner? There is a difference.

Whichever is the case, Internet radio should generally be better depending on station bitrates etc.

There is a vast number of ways to get Internet radio. Some are:

PC/Mac

Squeezebox Touch

Sonos

iPad etc.

Various streamer/DACs from the usual HiFi brands.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Internet radio can be very high quality, but depends on what stations you listen to. BBC radio 3 HD is on 320 kb/s AAC – better than FM in my experience. There are thousands of stations from around the world in all genres with many at 256 kb/s MP3, which is far, far better than DABs 128 Kb/s, if you are lucky, MP2 coding.

Radio from FreeSat is also very much better than DAB, but the choice on the internet is vastly greater. I like classical music and I regularly listen to high quality music from Hungary, Spain and The Netherlands, as well as Linn Radio, BBC Radio 3 HD and ClassicFM from UK.

I use a Sonos system, which gives me radio and other music, in several rooms. I have two high quality FM tuners but haven't used either for several years!

Andrew

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Overdose said:
What is the difference please?

DAB – Digital Audio Broadcasting – is the audio-only version, and requires a dedicated DAB receiver. Radio transmitted digitally to a TV over Freeview is transmitted using DVB-T (Digital Video Broadcasting – Terrestrial), and is basically sent as a digital TV signal without any pictures (although some stations do also include some text data, or even studio webcams and the like).

Audio services can also be received using Freesat, Sky or Virgin's transmission systems, the first two via satellite and the last via cable, and need a dedicated TV tuner or set-top box (as we used to call them when sets were big enough for you to put a box on top of them!) to receive them.

Audio is also, as we've already covered, streamed via the internet, where it can be received using computers, dedicated streaming devices such at network music players and the like, and even Smart TVs.

It's all part of being 'multiplatform', and the quality of signal - ie the data-rate at which the digital signal is streamed, can vary according to the platform, the bandwidth available and/or the broadcaster's own priorities.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I should have made this clearer I was listening to the T.V tuner . BBC Radio 6 did not sound too bad but the rest - terrible

Paul

A

Anonymous

Why not one of the recent choices of network receivers, and forego FM? I found the Onkyo TX-8050 a good choice in receiving internet stations and with digital inputs for external internet devices (i.e., Apple TV). Also the newly released Onkyo A-9050 integrated amplifier. Both with high quality discreet amplification that can drive low ohm speakers.

T

the record spot

Take your pick; an Apple TV will offer you a stack of internet radio stations, the aforesaid (and excellent) TX8050 from Onkyo offeers a pile of options too. Your smart TV will get you internet radio through its connection to the network in your home. Or you can run something like TuneinRadio Pro (the best 69p you'll spend) and if you have an Apple iPod Touch for instance, you can play that through (for example) your system wirelessly and pick and choose to your heart's content.

I use a mixture of all the above, quality is really rather good, and don't be put off my the lower bitrates, I listen to Radio 5 Live on its AAC stream and that is from memory, 98kbps.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replys everyone, certainly given me alot to think about. Dont know anything about Apple TV to be honest. My Sony T.V is attached to the network through Homeplug (via ethernet) and then to the amp through an audio cable. How would I attach the Apple T.V to my television? Dont have a laptop or smart phone (but the kids do!) but do have a main PC in another room with a large 2TB External Hard Drive. The PC also has I.Tunes.

Any further advice would be great

Best wishes

Paul

T

the record spot

Hi Paul,

HDMI to your TV from your ATV, then optical to your amp (if it has a digital input) or to a DAC then via standard analogue cables to an integrated if that's your setup. Some amps offer an onboard DAC so you just have to work out if you want to have your ATV available to you with or without having to have the TV on (e.g. to stream music off an iPhone / iPad / Touch).

A

Anonymous

Apple TV would connect to your TV or A/V receiver via an HDMI interconnect. If your receiver or amplifier has an optical digital input, Apple TV also provides this connection as another option in receiving pristine internet radio audio. As per previous post, I highly recommend Apple TV for the choices of internet stations, versatility, ease of use, and of course TV/movie options.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
No problem with HDMI into T.V but amp is on the other side of room and is only connected to T,V via audio cable (and it does not have an optical connection) Does this mean Apple T.V is a non starter?

Paul

T

the record spot

Depends on the amp (sorry, I haven't read the whole thread) and if it has Airplay as an option. If you go down the NA7004 route (or similar) then you're in luck as I think Marantz offer Airplay with their gear just now. Check out the specs for whichever streamer you're thinking about going with.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok many thanks although if I went with the Marantz it would give me FM radio, streaming and Internet Radio so why would I also need Apple T.V?

A

Anonymous

Yes, you're right. If you went with the Marantz NA7004 you wouldn't need an Apple TV as far as accessing your iTunes for internet radio and your music library. It has built-in Airplay to connect with your iTunes. It also plays internet stations outside of iTunes. But you'd be missing the TV functionality of Apple TV if that was important to you.

I think the other contributor woud agree in recommending to take a look at similar Onkyo products (as we mentioned earlier). That Marantz has quite a hefty price tag, but I don't doubt the quality.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all of your advice it is much apprecitated. Apple would certianly prove more cost effective if I can figure out a way for it to work. What if I take the ethernet out of the back of the Sony and put in the Apple T.V and then still take HDMI from Apple to Sony T.V. The Audio cable would still go to a non digital amp on other side of room.

Paul

A

Anonymous

paulsue38 said:
Thanks for all of your advice it is much apprecitated. Apple would certianly prove more cost effective if I can figure out a way for it to work. What if I take the ethernet out of the back of the Sony and put in the Apple T.V and then still take HDMI from Apple to Sony T.V. The Audio cable would still go to a non digital amp on other side of room.

Paul

I think that would work. It seems that Apple TV is a good solution for your configuration, as it has ethernet input and HDMI output. So as you say, ethernet to Apple TV, HDMI from Apple TV to Sony TV. Then Sony TV audio out to your amp...via analog RCA cables.

I'm assuming you also have a coax cable from an antenna or cable company to go to a cable box or directly into your TV.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Yes I have two coax cables one for the tuner and one for the Sony T.V. As an update I am taking the F.M tuner for repair on Monday. I will still pursue an Apple T.V though for Internet radio and will give Apple a ring just to double check the above configuration.

Once again thanks for your help

Paul

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I notice that some users are also including a DAC with the Apple. is this an essential in this set up or an addition to improve the sound?

T

the record spot

As the ATV doesn't come with analogue connections, it needs to be hooked up to a DAC at some point in order to get the signal from the digital into the analogue domain, so whether that is using the one in an amp or a standalone one, you'll need one!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts