Quality music for breakfast . . . ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Here I sit, breakfast time, Cornflakes, Muesli and Sugar Puffs, milk, no sugar, check out e-mails, read up on the latest spat between Nico Rosburg and Lewis Hamilton . . . all whilst listening to 'specially selected' music from from Spotify, not usually to impressed . . . ? However, whilst reading the events of the previous day, I became aware of a voice that took my attention.

Stop reading and listen . . . I'm seated at my desk, 'close listening position', the 'stereo image' is quite pronounced and a different experience to normal listening, some material often reminding me of the stereo demo train running left to right circa 1960's?

The voice I was listening to, Frances Black, new to me . . . I've been sitting here captivated for over an hour. I listened to the 'popular' tracks as listed by Spotify, I have now let it run into here 2014 release; 'The Essential Frances Black'.

Frances Black will be on my play list for the future, I recommend you have a dip in to her material.

Back to a cuppa gone cold!!! . . . ;)

CJSF

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
The two radio streams I listen to mostly are Radio Paradise and Pinguin Radio. Both 320kbps streams and with minimum chatter from DJ's and no adverts. Great eclectic selection too.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
Here I sit, breakfast time, Cornflakes, Muesli and Sugar Puffs, milk, no sugar, check out e-mails, read up on the latest spat between Nico Rosburg and Lewis Hamilton . . . all whilst listening to 'specially selected' music from from Spotify, not usually to impressed . . . ? However, whilst reading the events of the previous day, I became aware of a voice that took my attention. Stop reading and listen . . . I'm seated at my desk, 'close listening position', the 'stereo image' is quite pronounced and a different experience to normal listening, some material often reminding me of the stereo demo train running left to right circa 1960's? The voice I was listening to, Frances Black, new to me . . . I've been sitting here captivated for over an hour. I listened to the 'popular' tracks as listed by Spotify, I have now let it run into here 2014 release; 'The Essential Frances Black'. Frances Black will be on my play list for the future, I recommend you have a dip in to her material. Back to a cuppa gone cold!!! . . . ;) CJSF

Thanks for the recommendation CJSF , she has a lovely voice and the quitar on many of her songs is top rate too and they all have a lovely feel to them , in fact I much prefer her style to that of Mary Black .!

I will be buying some Cd's :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mi Mac, yes I suspected she had something to do with Mary, top pedigree . . . Still listening, some better than others, however if her not 'so good' is anything to go by, some so called artists need to take note?

In fact, I think the 'not so good' are probably let down by the engineering rather than a poor performance?

Archers to come soon on Radio 4 and Hazel to appear with lunch . . . a couple of slices of brown toast, butter and Arden Pate today . . . ? Tough life aint it . . . :)

CJS

TrevC

Jota180 said:
The two radio streams I listen to mostly are Radio Paradise and Pinguin Radio. Both 320kbps streams and with minimum chatter from DJ's and no adverts. Great eclectic selection too.

I can't get anything above 192kbps for Paradise, not that I care that much.

TrevC

CJSF said:
Here I sit, breakfast time, Cornflakes, Muesli and Sugar Puffs, milk, no sugar, check out e-mails, read up on the latest spat between Nico Rosburg and Lewis Hamilton . . . all whilst listening to 'specially selected' music from from Spotify, not usually to impressed . . . ? However, whilst reading the events of the previous day, I became aware of a voice that took my attention. Stop reading and listen . . . I'm seated at my desk, 'close listening position', the 'stereo image' is quite pronounced and a different experience to normal listening, some material often reminding me of the stereo demo train running left to right circa 1960's? The voice I was listening to, Frances Black, new to me . . . I've been sitting here captivated for over an hour. I listened to the 'popular' tracks as listed by Spotify, I have now let it run into here 2014 release; 'The Essential Frances Black'. Frances Black will be on my play list for the future, I recommend you have a dip in to her material. Back to a cuppa gone cold!!! . . . ;) CJSF

Good call on Frances, listening now. :)

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
Jota180 said:

I can't get anything above 192kbps for Paradise, not that I care that much.

I get the 320 through Naim.

TrevC

jjbomber said:
TrevC said:
jjbomber said:
For breakfast it has to be Alice Cooper - Along Came A Spider. It is a concept album about a 'cereal' killer.

Or Pink Floyd, Atom Heart Mother.

It would have to be Pink Floyd: Pigs, as that is where the bacon and sausage come from. Add in some Chicken-foot or Egg-streme. Delicious.

No toast and marmalade without Alan.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
For me today, at breakfast time, it was more of Samuel Pepys Diary (read by Kenneth Branagh) ripped from the 9 CD (unabridged) box-set at 320K AAC VBR.

His breakfasts (and other meals) feature large in his life and it is both funny and historically interesting ...

14274117062_b7f80fe7cc_o.png

He had 'wine and good cake' today but he often eats mackerel, or sliced beef, or collar of brawn (with wine), or turkey pie, or chocolate (medicinal for a hangover) and frequently his breakfasts merge with lunch and an afternoon in good company getting sozzled from someone-or-other's wine cellar.

By contrast I had three slices of wholemeal toast (one with Marmite and one with marmalade) and a mug of coffee.

matthewpiano

Breakfast music for me means something like Alfred Brendel's Bach CD, or something like Clementi Sonatas.

I've enjoyed the Frances Black that I've heard but more of a fan of Mary Black, who I think is outstanding.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
CJSF said:

Thanks for the recommendation CJSF , she has a lovely voice and the quitar on many of her songs is top rate too and they all have a lovely feel to them , in fact I much prefer her style to that of Mary Black .!

I like a couple of Mary's albums "No Frontiers" and Babes in the Wood", but sadly hasn't made a top record for a while now.

She has got a daughter who brought out her first album in 2012

Róisín O – The Secret Life of Blue

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Had a simple relaxed listen tonight, its 'Horlicks hour'. I can listen to Marry or Frances, however as always Hazel summed it up, 'Mary has a more sophisticated sound . . . perhaps slightly more commercial'?

Which in my book means I am attracted to the slight hint of folksiness in Frances's presentation?

???? . . . what does it matter, they both sound great.

I will sleep well tonight, Horlick has just come in with a couple of digestive biscuits. ;)

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Electro said:
CJSF said:

I like a couple of Mary's albums "No Frontiers" and Babes in the Wood", but sadly hasn't made a top record for a while now.

She has got a daughter who brought out her first album in 2012

Róisín O – The Secret Life of Blue

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Thanks for the Link Mac . . . so here we are again, bowl of Sugar Puffs etc., had a listen to 'Roisin O', afraid she dont do much for us, Hazels comment, 'needs to mature?'.

This set me off into my 'to do' play list. A melancholy morning, its been raining cats and dogs all night, dipped in and out of albums, nothing taking my fancy . . . untill I happened on 'We'll Paint You a Rainbow'. A charity (not a good start?) compilation album but I put on my 'to do' list a while back when I was researching 'Ladysmith Black Mombazo'.

The compilation starts with Ladysmith and goes through Joan Baez and ends with Christine Brewer singing the title song. A mixture that I would not have picked, however, I listened and became engrossed . . . why? Two thirds of the way through the penny dropped, as I said the morning is melancholy, reflecting my mood, the textures on the tracks were the 'hook', not down as such, simply a reflection of my feelings at that moment, sending tingle running down the spine.

Fancy a little inner reflection . . . ? You need to give 'the whole album' a listen to appreciate it . . .

CJSF

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi CJSF,

If you want to try some more Ladysmith music, have a look at this album. The three background singers are ex-Ladysmith and you can hear it too! And I think the recording is pretty decent also (all echo and reverb are real room acoustics, no digital finery)...

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi CJSF,

If you want to try some more Ladysmith music, have a look at this album. The three background singers are ex-Ladysmith and you can hear it too! And I think the recording is pretty decent also (all echo and reverb are real room acoustics, no digital finery)...

Thanks for the link DocG, I like Hans Theesink's music but have missed this album. Listened over the Sugar Puffs this morning, gets my thumbs up, Hazel was suitably impressed too. Having a second bite as I type, the amps are warmed up now, a very rich natural sound, will be a regular from my play list. If only it was available on vinyl?

CJSF

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
DocG said:
Hi CJSF,

Thanks for the link DocG, I like Hans Theesink's music but have missed this album. Listened over the Sugar Puffs this morning, gets my thumbs up, Hazel was suitably impressed too. Having a second bite as I type, the amps are warmed up now, a very rich natural sound, will be a regular from my play list. If only it was available on vinyl? CJSF

One of my dealers has a vinyl copy, so it must be available somewhere. And to be frank: yes, it sounds even better on vinyl! The mastering is a touch on the bright side, and that suits vinyl better, I suppose...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I did try Frances Black but was not too struck on her, prefer Mary but as Mac said her earlier albums are better. If you want someone in that sort of vein you could try Susan McKeown I would say Lowlands is her best album. Dark Horse on the WInd may scare the kids.

If you want more instrumental celtic music try Donal Lunny - Coolfin. Should get you going in the morning.

A few celtic bands to try: Altan, Capercaillie and Solas.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts