Quality folding for air travel?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

I travel on planes a lot and generally use the excellent Flare Audio in ears that i have. Quality wise I cannot fault them but I really don't like stuffing things in my ears.

Ideally therefore I'd like a really good pair of on/over ears that are easy to stash in a carry on laptop bag so they need to fold or go flat very well so as not to make them take up too much space or be awkward to pull out/push back into a bag.

I did try the B&W P5 S2s that were excellent but I was so afraid of breaking them. However I dd like their sound and that's what I am looking for - very open sound but with enough bass for rock music but also sufficient detail.

I 'may' also add in a Dragonfly black to use with iPhone 6s plus.

Any recommendations please? Thanks in advance.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sennheiser PX100 Mk IIs are pretty good for semi-disposables. They fold up nicely and can be bought in quantity when discounted. (I have bought them for as low as £25 per pair in John Lewis.)

Otherwise try the B&W P3s. They fold nicely and have a hard, snap shut, protective case ...

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Shop/Outlet/products/P3.html (B&W re-certified)

If you don't mind red or blue or white P3s then amazon uk have brand-new models on sale for as low as £119 or thereabouts.

jjbomber

Paulq said:
Hi all

Oppo HA-2 ahead of the dragonfly for me. Kef M500 for the shortlist as well, but I would stick with the P5s. If they break just buy another pair but, most importantly, 90% of what people worry about never happens. Go for it.

D

Deleted member 2457

Paulq said:
Thanks all I wasn't even aware the Kefs existed so I will have a look.

Any views on the B&O Play H6?
I had the B&O H6 and they were good!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
Hi all

I travel on planes a lot and generally use the excellent Flare Audio in ears that i have. Quality wise I cannot fault them but I really don't like stuffing things in my ears.

Ideally therefore I'd like a really good pair of on/over ears that are easy to stash in a carry on laptop bag so they need to fold or go flat very well so as not to make them take up too much space or be awkward to pull out/push back into a bag.

I did try the B&W P5 S2s that were excellent but I was so afraid of breaking them. However I dd like their sound and that's what I am looking for - very open sound but with enough bass for rock music but also sufficient detail.

Bose QC35, wear around neck to go on plane. They will not get in your way worn around neck.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
AKG NC30 for me. Super sound, very compact and comfortanle. Noise cancelling too. Beats Bose hands down and well made compared to BOSE which looks like they came out of a lucky bag

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I am not 'too' fussed about NC or wireless though if I can get it then I'll take it - I just want a pair that gives quality sound but are comfortable and easy to stash in a bag without faffing about trying to get them in and out of a case etc.

The AKGs look nice but both those and Bose are pretty expensive.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
Thanks for the replies.  I am not 'too' fussed about NC or wireless though if I can get it then I'll take it - I just want a pair that gives quality sound but are comfortable and easy to stash in a bag without faffing about trying to get them in and out of a case etc.

The AKGs look nice but both those and Bose are pretty expensive.
In a plane a noise cancelling feature is a requirement imo. It's such a noisy environment (86 db continuous) that without it sound quality is compromised. I have the on ear akg nc60 myself which imo sound better than the bose q35. However for someone who travels for hours the bose's comfort makes them the best option. After +/- 3 hours the akg become unconfortable because they are on ears.

Nathan

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
I wasn't fussed about NC. Then I bought a set of Bose QC35's. Now I never get on a plane or train without them. Great quality and the NC is awesome. Try them now, thank me later! Most John Lewis stores are loud and busy and have them out on demo. Worth a visit.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts