Quad or Primare

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Any opinions on a Primare I30 or a Quad 909 pwr/99 pre combo. Both available for demo at different dealers and differing speakers so it wont be that easy to make a direct comparison. Quad is only available for demo with Quad speakers and the Primare with MA, Spendor, BW and Kef, maybe a couple of others which I am not sure of yet. No home demo available. New speakers will have to wait but the Primare option will give me a 'brand sound' as a reference for the future This is a serious commitment for me, the most I have ever spent on any hifi comonent is about 300 so this represents a major investment and not one that will be repeated in the forseeable future except for the purchase of speakers. Thanks in advance.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I had to make the same decision recently, and although I never demo'ed the primare, I went with the Quad because it was available at a significant discount over primare. I'm waiting for delivery on the 909 (wed). I will post more when I've had a good listen...

BTW, I did not buy the matching 99 pre-amp even though it was available cheap. I think my NAD pre looks better, and performs better, plus it matches my CDP...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yamaha A-S1000.

Prettier than the Primare or Quad. Lashings of real world power, great build (including wood), will last for 25 years (if old Yamahas are anything to go by) and will cost a lot less than either of the other two options leaving you a nice big bag of cash towards those speakers.

A

Anonymous

Nice!

M_as1000.jpg

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm a bit worried the Quad speakers might hold back the 99/909 when you demo.

If you like the idea of the 909 check out the 99cdp2 instead of the 99 pre. Its a pre, cdp and dac in one box. You'll get the two at much less than rrp if you hunt around and you can sell your existing kit to add to the £££pot.

Sounds wonderful imo.

A

Anonymous

When i bought my GS20's i first demoed them in an AV set up then with the Quad 99/909 and was very very impressed, shortly after receiving the speakers i borrowed a friends I30 which i now own the main reason i ended up with the Primare was simply less boxes and the space it takes up unfortunately ive never thought the two sound quite as good together and may well look for good prices on the Quad combination in the future.

A

Anonymous

I can only say that I had 4 Quad 900 series boxes die on me(1xpower amp and 3xcdp's)
the sound of these was great,although short lived but the stuff I've ended up with keeps on giving me more and more pleasure.
when 1st installed I thought it was pretty good but after lots of hours listening I'm really appreciating the more subtle aspects of it.
I've gone ott with cabling ,stands and power supply but it does to my ears give a sound thats much better than I had ever hoped for.
I'm going to go and give it a blast.

A

Anonymous

mohawk:I can only say that I had 4 Quad 900 series boxes die on me(1xpower amp and 3xcdp's)
the sound of these was great,although short lived

I had heard of reliability problems with some quad gear..(read it somewhere but can't remember where)..anyone else like to comment. Reliability is of paramount importance, any probs with Primare?

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I bought with a five year warranty and theres plenty of pretty old quad powers about still making a lovely noise. No experience of Primare but they are supposed to be bulletproof

A

Anonymous

Well the price of the Quad ought to be less than the Primare due to some offers about. I think the Quad will sound warmer than the Primare so some personal taste will come into this. One of the attractions of Quad is their superb customer service and service depot in Huntingdon, something that may or may not be of interest.

All said and done the Primare is prettier.
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:This could turn into a JD/Floyd - Igglebert/Newsome celebrity deathmatch slamdown...

But let me start. Primare/Spendor (though PMC for preference if they have any).
That would require me to put down my pipe and put some proper shoes on...

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i thought primare and dynaudio sounded pretty good. the i30 is a quality amp, never heard the quad so can't comment. whatever you go for, it's going to be one helluva upgrade on your c.a. although the primare will really expose your cdp imo.

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:although the primare will really expose your cdp imo.

The CDP is pretty much redundant as I now stream from my PC..............

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
ah! didn't notice that tucked away in your sig... dacmagic might gell pretty well with the primare, maybe not so well with quad if reports i've read of it being warm are correct. obviously depends on what speakers you end up with as well, but dacmagic (warm, imo) quad (warm?) and speakers with strong bass might be too much of a good thing. you should try to hear the amps with whatever speaks you have in mind as system matching plays a huge part.

A

Anonymous

Let me chuck this into the mix.....Quad 909, Passive preamp and Spendor se5 spks. If I use my QED MA34 passive pre and just get the quad 909 I will have enough for a pair of decent spks to go with it.....but........how do the spendors go with quad????

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:ah! didn't notice that tucked away in your sig... dacmagic might gell pretty well with the primare, maybe not so well with quad if reports i've read of it being warm are correct. obviously depends on what speakers you end up with as well, but dacmagic (warm, imo) quad (warm?) and speakers with strong bass might be too much of a good thing. you should try to hear the amps with whatever speaks you have in mind as system matching plays a huge part.

Warm eh!.....I was always under the impression that quad was supposed to be neutral.......'More input'..................

A

Anonymous

Thought Quad was meant to be neutral, too. Aside from the Yamaha, the Unison Research Unico is well worth a listen. Impressed me, though it has to be said that most amps with Sonus Faber speakers on the end sound good to me.

A

Anonymous

Quad is fairly neutral but with a warm, coloured bass.

My Spendors go very well with my Quad. They both produce a natural sound with a very clean, three dimensional sound stage. The midrange is very good indeed and the treble breathtaking. The bass on mine is deep and articulate but not the leanest or tightest I've ever heard. Works well with my SA1s.

I've not tried a passive pre but I've heard that they lack the dynamics (and life?) of an active pre. Fine if you want a very clean, accurate sound but not as punchy and tactile as an active.

A

Anonymous

Had a quick look on the quad site and they say that the 909 will NOT accept 4mm banana plugs.....something to do with safety issues..........the world has gone mad
emotion-12.gif

Any comments or solutions............cos I aint cutting my speaker leadswhich have 4mm / BFA terminations................

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts