Quad netaudio upgrade info

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

Im curious about Quad netaudio upgrades. Do these allow a new cd player and new speakers to be used with the 33/303 or 405 ? Are there limits to the sort of speakers you could use ? For example would you need low imp/high db sens ? Anyone have some upgraded Quads ? What is your experience with them ? Anything technical i should be aware of if i were to buy one ?

I know igglebert has a 405 upgraded Quad. Here's a shout out to igglebert !
emotion-2.gif
Is the 405 a power amp ?

Eagerly awaiting replies ! Thanks.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Good evening Stephen(Or good Stephening for that matter)

Heres the net audio site - http://www.net-audio.co.uk/quad405caps.html

Can't comment on improvements in SQ but we both know a man who can ... no doubt he'll be along in a bit

A

Anonymous

Evening!

I bought a Quad 405 from ebay for £100 and used it for a few months. Then I drove it over to David Pritchard at Netaudio and got the full MK3 dual-mono upgrade. I had the spec'ed AD843 op amps to start with but also bought a pair of BB OPA627 to try at a later date.

The change in sound after the upgrade is not subtle, quite frankly it's a different amp. Originally it sounded bass light and a bit bright and hard. The midrange was rather nice though! Once upgraded it sounds a lot more neutral, has much deeper bass and is more detailed. The treble is as much an improvement as the bass and it's more extended. The midrange is silky smooth and detailed.

When I changed to the OPA672 op amps the sound took another step forward. It seemed like a veil was lifted from the sound resulting in greater detail and airiness, and greater (apparent) separation between instruments.

I think the MK3 still follows the house sound of Quad; warm, detailed and very smooth. It just does it in a more neutral, detailed and weighty way than the original, just like the 909! It has more current to deliver to the speakers as it has the limiter removed and uses PSU capacitors with twice the reserve. My next move will be the mono block version where there's twice the current again!

The original 405 didn't cope well with low speaker impedance and really needed to float around the nominal 8 ohm mark. The new version has more current and is much better able to drive difficult loads. No need for sensitive or easy to drive speakers, but as for any amp, if they are then you'll get more out of it.

The 405 MK3 full upgrade is an absolute gem of the hifi world, one which only a few people get to enjoy. I would whole-heartedly recommend it as a highly cost effective way to get into serious amps. From what I've heard, the 303 is just as good.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
lordmortlock:Good evening Stephen(Or good Stephening for that matter)

Nothing? I was quite pleased with that.

The net audio web page makes for an interesting read. I'd love to get a net audio modded 33/303 or 405 up against a 99/909.

Might be a good/rewarding way of getting the sound you want Steve

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
lordmortlock:lordmortlock:Good evening Stephen(Or good Stephening for that matter)

The net audio web page makes for an interesting read. I'd love to get a net audio modded 33/303 or 405 up against a 99/909.

Might be a good/rewarding way of getting the sound you want Steve

What ?

Yes, id read a few threads in the forum regarding upgrades of old or vintage kit and it piqued my curiousity. The whole idea of bringing these classic hifi components back to life. I have, as many on this forum probably do, a healthy obsession with hifi and finding that ultimate audio nirvana.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:Evening!

I bought a Quad 405 from ebay for £100 and used it for a few months. Then I drove it over to David Pritchard at Netaudio and got the full MK3 dual-mono upgrade.

So if i bought a 33/303 combo without any upgrades i could still plug in my current cd and speakers and off i go ?

igglebert:It has more current to deliver to the speakers as it has the limiter removed and uses PSU capacitors with twice the reserve. My next move will be the mono block version where there's twice the current again!

The original 405 didn't cope well with low speaker impedance and really needed to float around the nominal 8 ohm mark. The new version has more current and is much better able to drive difficult loads. No need for sensitive or easy to drive speakers, but as for any amp, if they are then you'll get more out of it.

I was a bit concerned about whether my speakers would be okay to use with the Quad, but it seems it would be okay then. I wanted to be sure before i took the plunge !

igglebert:The 405 MK3 full upgrade is an absolute gem of the hifi world, one which only a few people get to enjoy. I would whole-heartedly recommend it as a highly cost effective way to get into serious amps. From what I've heard, the 303 is just as good.

I can get a 303/33 combo for around £280 both in good condition. Many thanks igglebert, much food for thought. I do like the description you give of the full upgrade.
emotion-11.gif

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
sthomas048:
lordmortlock:lordmortlock:Good evening Stephen(Or good Stephening for that matter)

What?

I thought good Stephening was quite funny and I thought someone else might find it funny t... oh never mind!

A

Anonymous

Yeah, that was quite amusing...

...I just missed it
emotion-7.gif

Where do you live Lord? We should try my 405MK3 up against the 909
emotion-2.gif

Stephen,
Can you plug your CDP straight into the 33 and use it as original? Yes. My mum has a 33/405 and simply plugged in a Mission CDP some years back. I'm not sure what inputs you get as standard and I understand that you can change inputs and specs with different input boards. I would hedge my bets to a yes...

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Oh cool. I think i would need a phono to din lead though ? More research is definately required - more web browsing for me today !
emotion-7.gif

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:My mum has a 33/405

How cool is your Mum?!

I'm in Gloucestershire - about 15 mins from Gloucester. Do you guys ever get together from what Hifi w-g w-m call a bake off? I'd love to put my proacs and 909 up against some other kit.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, she's got some massive transmission line speakers too! It was my dad's originally though.

Never done a bake off before but always fancied it. Would love to try my SA1s with a few different amps.

TRENDING THREADS