QUAD L-ite. Is this still a good package despite new entrants to the speaker market?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am seeking a view on the QUAD L-ite package in view of its new price.

I have recently purchased an Arcam AVR250 (not my original choice, but it was 1/2 price which brought it within my £500 budget) and I am now seeking a speaker package that will do it justice.

I originally had the Q-Acoustics 1010 in mind (again, ~£500 budget), but now I have a more powerful amp, I am reconsidering. The recent price drop of the QUAD L-ite system from £999 to £599 brings them in range. However, given that these were reviewed by What Hi Fi in Nov 2005, I am concerned that the 5* rating may not reflect their current standing.

Hence, three questions:

1) Are the QUAD L-ites still a good home cinema and musical package in Dec 2007 ?

2) Does the £600 price tag reflect their current market value/position or is it genuinely a bargain ?

3) Will they match well with the AVR205 or should I look elsewhere (e.g. Tannoy F1 or Monitor Audio BR2) ?

Any views most gratefully received !

A

Anonymous

Yes buy them! a speaker that was great 2 years ago is still great! speakers dont really change that much the fundimentels have been the same for 50 years or more, they are as much about good engineering and build as technology.

A

Anonymous

Hi Rod,

FWIW, I own an AVR 300 that I got a really good deal on and a quad lite package. I am extremely happy with the overall musicality of the system. HT packs a mighty punch too. My only comment would be that given the warm nature of the Arcam quad combo, the centre speaker would not be as 'bright' as other style packages out there, thereby requiring you to turn the volume up a notch (or two) to reveal dialogue detail.

This, of course, is only my opinion and others might say otherwise. For me, this is not a problem and love its performance. To put it simply, if I had the chance to make a speaker selection again (for the same price range, i.e under ~700), I would still go for the quads :)

Good luck.. I would recommend you audition before buying as these are subjective and depend on individual tastes. As the HSBC ad depicts, one man's music is another's noise!

B.

A

Anonymous

The price should go back up to £1000 after christmas i have been led to beleive, buy it, enjoy it, it is an excellent sub/sat package and a bargain at the price. The other options you've listed dont compare (and are more expensive). Get a demo arranged and watch saving private ryan, that should convince you

A

Anonymous

Many thanks to everyone who replied. With the Christmas rush I was late in both picking up the replies and then doing anything about it. However, after an audition, I did buy the Quad Lite package which is now set up in my home. Wow! Not only has it passed the test that my wife likes how it looks (a very important factor for anything taking permanent residence in our lounge!), but also the sound is phenominal - even my wife was impressed as we watched Gladiator to check out the setup. The crispness of the sound and the reproduction of the atmosphere from the opening battle scene created a magnificent experience. Music has also been taken to a new level. I am by no means experienced in this area of technology and hence it is difficult for me to say how this system compares to others, but the important thing is that it sounds fabulous to me. Thank you again for taking the time to share your views and expertise with me. Best regards, Rod.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts