Quad, Audiolab or Roksan Kandy K2??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am upgrading my system and need help. My options are very specific as I work for an electrical retailer and can get huge savings only on the products we stock. I've narrowed it down to 3 options;- Quad CDP-2 with 2 99 stereo amps bi-amping my speakers. Or for a similar price I can 2 Audiolab power amps or 4 monoblocs with matching pre-amp and 8000cd. Or finally, I can get the new Roksan Kandy K2 which all reviews say are great. I know the best thing to do would be to listen to each system, which I've tried to do. However, it's easier said than done.

My speakers are Monitor Audio RS6s, which I plan to keep for now. I'm just looking for peoples opinions really. In particular on the Audiolab as I've not been able to listen to this at all.

A

Anonymous

The Roksan Kandy K2, in my opinion, would be the best option between the three. I've had the Roksan Kandy MK2, MK3 and the LIII and loved them all.

A

Anonymous

I have the Audiolab 8000q pre with 2 8000p's bi-amping RS6's and I'm really pleased with the sound, plenty of headroom and the sound stage is great.
I tried the Quad & Kandy before buying the Audiolab's and preferred the Audiolab.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I found the K2 sounding soft with the RS6 though I wouldn't solely blame the amp for it. If memory serves well and Audiolab still sound like they used to (I had an 8000S many years ago) it would be worth a try. Arcam's A38 makes a better match with your speakers than the Roksan. Can't comment on Quad. As always, my opinion only and you may disagree.

A

Anonymous

When I was looking at getting a second system, I brought to the demo my Pre-TAG Audiolab 8000s (integrated), 8000sx (matching power amp with the "s"), 8000CD and audtioned the K2 amp and CD combo and a Cyrus Combo. I did not think the K2 offered me really very much over my 10 year old Audiolabs, and went with Cyrus instead for the second system. I like the Audiolab's detailed presentation and Cyrus does that well. K2 wasn't quite my cup of tea (but very good amp/CD according to reviews). But note that my Audiolabs were Pre-TAG so I cannot speak about the SQ of the current Audiolabs although I hear that they are not as good.

The second point is whether bi-amping is important to you as it seems that with the Audiolab and Quad, you can get enough kit to biamp, but would only have the integrated amp if you went with Roksan.

Can't speak about Quad as I have no experience of them.

A

Anonymous

The Quad kit would be my preference. Very clean, smooth and detailed sound. I'm sure the Kandy is very nice but Roksan don't offer the service standards and used prices that Quad do. The Audiolab is a more hifi, clinical sounding option that might be perfect for you.

T

the record spot

Must admit, I think I'd be leaning toward the Quad or Audiolab kit - no disrespect to the K2, it sounds like a fine amp - but the other two would be inclined to sway my attention their way I think.

I think the Audiolab gear would give me the upgrade options via newer power amps, etc if you wanted (though you've probably got enough there to be getting on with!) and the Quad gear is just great kit from a company that's got a stonking amp pedigree (303, 400, 600 and 900 series - I'd pay good money for any of them), plus there's heaps of customising and tinkering options available too.

A

Anonymous

Sharonadam - judging by the feedback from the forum members in response to your query, it is fairly evident that you will need to carry out a listening test yourself due to our differing tastes in music.

A

Anonymous

I think you're right. A listening test is in order. I'd better start borrowing from work! Just a thought though, to add yet another option to the list, I can get an Arcam CD192 With an A90 intergrated amp for £800.00. Any thoughts on this? I've read plenty of good things about the CD192 but never anything that positive about the A90. Obviously I know it's all down to personal taste. But it's good to get other opinions too.

The CD192 is superb, but the A90 is questionable. If you're looking at Arcam, the FMJ A22, A32 are a better bet - or even the A85 (multi award winner).

Arguably, Arcam is the ideal match for Monitor Audio, also don't dismiss the Creek Evo. The Creek works extremely well with RS6's.

Although I can't comment on the Quads, from what I've read and heard the Quad's presentation would suggest it will marry well with the RS6's.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your response. This is the first time I've done this and you've all been great!

On the subject of Arcam, it brings me to the reason I'm changing my system. I'm probably what most of you would class as a novice, having only become 'obsessed' (as my lovely, patient lady would say) for around 2 years. In this time I've had a Creek Evo CD and Evo amp with MA BR5s but soon found the amp a bit short of bass and excitement. So I changed it for a Nad C372, which made a huge difference. I then changed my speakers to RS6s. Again, a very good move. Then, probably to the disappointment of the HiFi entusiast I tried to combine AV and HiFi and got a Yamaha RX-V3800. Which to be honest, did'nt sound any less HiFi than the Nad. So I was pleased and blissfully unaware of what I was missing out on.

That was until my company reduced its last Arcam AVP700/P1000 combo to a stupid price of £700.00 the pair! Which I got for a friend of mine but made the mistake of setting it up with my RS6s at home first. And now that's it! My system just won't do at all. On the Arcam combo my music sounds much, much better in every way. I heard notes I'd never heard in songs I've listened to a thousand times! And that was with my Yamaha DVD2700 not the Evo CD. I've also never read a review of the Arcam combo that has ever put it above average. So now I want a stereo that will equal or better this system. As well as the Quad, Adiolab and Roksan systems, I can also get for avery similar price the Yamaha AS/CDS1000 or 2000 and various current Marantz models. Speaker wise, it's Epos M12i, M16i, M22i, Mission 794, 796 or Monitor Audio RS8s. Music wise, I listen to a bit of everything.

Any ideas?

A

Anonymous

sharonadam:
Any ideas?

Lots of listening by the sounds of it. Only you can decide what sound you want. If you like a bit of bass welly and excitement then Roksan would spring to mind for me although I've not heard the K2. The Quad 909/99 would be nice and smooth but possibly won't have the excitement (colour?) of the Roksan. Any chance that you can get Densen kit? That stuff rocks too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts