Quad 12L Speakers?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have a pair of 12L2s. They are revealing, if not clinical, and very sensitive to positioning. I'm strictly neutral about them - not really the sound I like, but on the otherhand they are not a fatiguing listen in the way the speakers they replaced were.

Being honest, after the first week they were destined for ebay. Now, weeks later, the sound has lost its hard edge, the bass has improved, but they will always be a touch too clinical for me.

Don't know whether biwiring will achieve much, and might even accentuate that coldness. They can take a decent level of amplifier an CD player, too. I've got them matched with a Rega Planet/Nait5i, which sounds much better (as you'd expect) than the Rega/NAD C320BEE I had before. However, the Naim isn't the warmest of amps.

So, after all that, do I like them? Put it this way, I'll happily keep them for a couple of years.

There's a different opinion at http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/quad_11_12_e.html

T

the record spot

What's the issue with them beyond "not getting on" - are the sonics not what you'd expected?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I really like mine - i use them with my second system in my bedroom which is an Arcam Solo Movie and i do have them bi-wired using the rear surrounds to bi-amp the front speakers - initially I thought the bass was far to dominent but after a little playing around with postioning they now strike a really nice balance. I find they show up bad recordings but are very easy to listen to. I think Quad speakers have always needed to be carefully partnered - Arcam, Quad, MF kit all seems to work - guess this is kit which is either described as warm or neutral.

how long have you had them

A

Anonymous

the record spot:What's the issue with them beyond "not getting on" - are the sonics not what you'd expected?

They are too clinical and 4 me fatiguing. I defy anyone who owns a pair to not admit that more often than not the sound grates on high horns,raised vocals etc and therefore you find yourself turning it down.

A

Anonymous

I had these for a week and got rid of them on E-Bay. There are no two ways about these speakers - you either love them or hate them. It's got a very 'boxy' sound and is tiring to listen to. Extended listening will be a torture.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
EvilWolf:I had these for a week and got rid of them on E-Bay. There are no two ways about these speakers - you either love them or hate them. It's got a very 'boxy' sound and is tiring to listen to. Extended listening will be a torture.

Same here.

Although they will sing with well matching partners. with what I had at the time though - Bright....very bright!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts