Qriocity Rdio or Spotify

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello I would like to suscribe to one of this music services but I can not decide which. I would like to use in my AVR via the PS3 and also be able to synch up my own library. Another requirement would be to allow listening to music in my mobile phone even when there is no wi-fi connection. I have tried the 30 free period of Qriocity but I did not like very much the user interface. I believe that Rdio also works in PS3 but it may require to go through the browser everytime and do the log-on because I do not think that there is an app that can be installed in the PS3. On the other hand the user interface looks better and also the functionality to discover new music. Then Spotify is the most popular but I do not think that it can be used on PS3.

I would appreciate very much any comments that could help me decide.

F

FunkyMonkey

I am in a similar position to you. I refuse Spotify as you need to be A Facebook user. I was going to plump for Rdio, but I am waiting for Google Music in the UK before I decide.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to be a facebook user, you just have to join, which is subtly different. You can join with a completely ficticious name and details and then you never actually need to visit Facebook ever again.

F

FunkyMonkey

Yes, I know, but I despise Facebook so much, and thus Spotify for doing this.

Anyway, Google Music has green light for UK, so watch this space.

I would like to upload my collection to the cloud, so will see which service provides that facility.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Spotify is the best of the 3 in sound quality.

Holding out because of the facebook thing is cutting off your nose to spite your face and rather childish.

On a personal level facebook is invaluable, but if you don't want to use it then you won't even remember it in a month.

And it meant they stood a chance of spreading and thus, surviving.

F

FunkyMonkey

How is Spotify better for sound quality? It is only spiting my face if, a big if, Spotify is the only choice. I don't need streaming right now, so waiting is better option, given that I don't want to be any part of Facebook. Whether you think that's foolish is irrelevant, judgemental fellow

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I have just cancelled my Spotify account because of problem I had playing it through my Marantz cd6004. I am currently using Rdio on the 7 day trial and it works great through my Marantz and I find the sound as good as Spotifys.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
FunkyMonkey said:
How is Spotify better for sound quality? It is only spiting my face if, a big if, Spotify is the only choice. I don't need streaming right now, so waiting is better option, given that I don't want to be any part of Facebook. Whether you think that's foolish is irrelevant, judgemental fellow

Spotify is 320 Kbps.

Sonys one is 64 Kbps (high compression AAC)

Not sure about rdio but it certainly isn't 320.

they said this in a post somewhere on the subject...

"We're not currently providing specific bitrate or codec information. We experiment with different rates and encoding formats in an effort to provide the best possible listening and user-experience, and stream CD-quality audio over the web and wifi (for mobile devices), and only stream a lower bitrate if you’re on a 3G connection. "

which leads me to believe it is another of the high compression technologies. They are very good quality for the bitrate, but not on the same level as a well ripped mp3, aac or ogg.

So, for the moment, Spotify offers the best sound quality. The facebook login simply means signing up as Joe bloggs and never using the account again and irrelevant. So yes, to NOT use Spotify because of it is a bit silly, prissy and pointless.

F

FunkyMonkey

Froggy, the quote in your post doesn't state that quality is less than Spotify. And the other, more sensible poster clearly believes Rdio works better and sounds at least as good as Spotify.

F

FunkyMonkey

And anyway, Trigger, you are missing the point. Spotify now has real competition.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
FunkyMonkey said:
And anyway, Trigger, you are missing the point. Spotify now has real competition.

Yes, that's a good thing Rodney. I've tried most, including WiMP which is ona par with Spotify for quality (256 kbps AAC), but only available to Nordic countries.

Rdio is not on the same level as Spotify in my opinion, but if it suits you, then go for it.

My only gripe is people making the foolish decision to ignore it because of some unfounded tin-foil hat paranoia about Facebook, even if all it means is a few more keystrokes and never needing to see it again.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I also tried Rdio, besides a worse selection of tracks than Spotify (on a casual test) it was pretty easy to tell that the sound quality was worse as well.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'll say one thing for Rdio: they have Pink Floyd. I was going to say "they've also got Adele 21" but I see that's recently turned up on Spotify as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts