QLED vs OLED - Why is LG winning the arms race

kbarnak

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Very interesting - I'm looking at a new TV ( sooner than later) and was pondering the QLED / OLED question, or waiting. Problem is, how long do you wait lol ? Think, if I do choose, it will be LG OLED but I'll be thinking about screen burn.

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
Interesting article. Micro LED could still be years away from being a viable alternative for the mass market.

Excellent article.

MicroLED (aka ILED or Inorganic LED) is definitely the future, as the compounds used are completely stable and immune to screen burn (unlike OLED). There does seem to be a bit of a 'head in the sand' attitude to OLED currently, but the screen burn problem is very real. Take a look at the latest tests on RTings, where they are using more realistic test signals compared to the original tests. Screen burn is starting to appear after just 6 weeks.

My LCD TV is 8 years old and long overdue for replacement, but I am going to get another LCD then replace it with a MicroLED set in a few years time, when they eventually appear.

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
Bear in mind that none of actual users on this forum have reported any screen burn issues so far. Also, the "6 weeks" on RTings is 20 hours everyday continuously, which isn't how we're going to watch TV.

True, but they noted a recurrence of a rectangle from the initial calibration carried out several weeks earlier. This suggests screen burn may be cumulative.

cs2011 said:
bigboss said:
Bear in mind that none of actual users on this forum have reported any screen burn issues so far. Also, the "6 weeks" on RTings is 20 hours everyday continuously, which isn't how we're going to watch TV.

True, but they noted a recurrence of a rectangle from the initial calibration carried out several weeks earlier.  This suggests screen burn may be cumulative.
My brother in law has the 1st generation LG OLED TV which he bought around 4 years ago. Still no screen burn.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts