QED X TUBE 300-Andrew etc Please advise me

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

System: Marantz CD63SE, Exposure Super XX Integratde Amplifier and Monitor Audio Bronze 2 Speakers.

I bought 2 X 4 mtrs of QED X TUBE 300 speaker cable today as advised by the assistant in Sevenoaks Hi Fi. However instead of giving me bi-wire : 2 into my Amp and 4 into each speaker, the manager made me up 2 into my amp and 2 into each speaker, bridging the red-red and black-black with two loops of QED. The sound is great, but just wondering if this is what I should have been given and is it OK to have the bridging loops with just two banana plugs plugged into the back of each speaker. I got charged £120.00 including 8 QED Airloc Terminated Plugs.

A

Anonymous

It'll sound great because it's good speaker cable and you've effectively doubled the amount of it that you've used when compared to a normal run. However, if your double run is terminated at the speaker end with only 2 bananas you have not got a bi-wired setup, you just have a normal setup with double the cable.

Sounds great, then perhaps you wouldn't need to bi-wire anyway, but by the same token, you probably didn't need the double thickness either. So take it back and tell him he's a muppet and to reterminate the speaker end with 4 not 2 bananas. Otherwise you've effectively bought double the cable you need. This would be a bit pointless!

A

Anonymous

Did you really spend £120 on speaker cables for a pair of monitor Audio Bronze 2?

A

Anonymous

Yep 2x 4 mtrs =8 Mtrs @ £10.00 Total £80.00

Plus 4 QED Airloc Plugs @£5.00 Total £40.00

A

Anonymous

Looks like a thread for Oldphrt to come in on. Come on then, let him have both barrels!

A

Anonymous

Here's the reply I got by email from Sevenoaks earlier today:

To create your biwire links, we used QED Silver Anniversary XT which is a high quality cable. Considering the short run involved there should be no loss in quality whatever.

XT300 isn't suitable for biwire links due to the thickness and the way it is constructed.

A

Anonymous

In other words, "We can't squeeze it into an Airlock plug so we gave you something you didn't ask for instead".

Take Mr. T down there and show them who the fool is NOW! Ha!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts