QED Silver Anniversary Bi-wire vs Chord SilverScreen

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I read the review in the latest WHFM and it was very interesting Im running the QED bi-wire currently from my Arcam Alpha 9 and 9P and i am going to get the same lengths (2 x 3m, well 4 x 3m for bi-wire config) to compare. Has anyone else had experience with the Chord speaker cable in comparison to the QED bi-wire with Monitor Audio speakers? If so, what was your outcome? I really like the QED bi-wire and it brings out alot of detail from the Arcam set-up through my M/A RS6 speakers but sometimes i feel im being robbed of bass. Has anyone else got any suggestions for speaker cable (remembering that i'm bi-amping my RS6's currently and dont want to go over £15 p/m for cable). Also, any suggestions for different interconnects if i go over to Chord as im running QED Quenex 3's currently. Ta

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I prefer Chord to QED, I didn't get on with the QED silver anniversary, but I wouldn't use either with MA speakers, I would use solid core copper from Van Damm or Audioquest instead of silver plated cable.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
When you say Van Damm do you mean Van Den Hul?

Also, why wouldnt you use QED or Chord with M/A RS6 speakers?

What opinions do people have of DNM cable? As i said above i'm after good clarity as i get with the QED cable but i feel im losing out on bass so would like cable that gives that bit more 'oomph' so to speak. Same with interconnects!

A

Anonymous

I bought some today whilst demoing some gear, I do quite like it.
Bass , and treble are very good!
As for my gear it MF-80, MF XP 200, Cyrus CD6s and my new toy the DACX driving some Dynaudio Focus 110's

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="chris lowe"]I bought some today whilst demoing some gear, I do quite like it.
Bass , and treble are very good!
As for my gear it MF-80, MF XP 200, Cyrus CD6s and my new toy the DACX driving some Dynaudio Focus 110's[/quote]

What have you bought today???

Sorry if im being ignorrant but ive mentioned loads of different things so far

Also, how are you liking the DacX? My girlfriend has just added a Cyrus 8 power amp to her Cyrus 8v2 amp and B&W CM7 speakers and that was a very noticable and worthwhile upgrade so im now trying to talk her into adding a Dac haha :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]When you say Van Damm do you mean Van Den Hul?

Also, why wouldnt you use QED or Chord with M/A RS6 speakers?

What opinions do people have of DNM cable? As i said above i'm after good clarity as i get with the QED cable but i feel im losing out on bass so would like cable that gives that bit more 'oomph' so to speak. Same with interconnects![/quote]

No Van damm is different cables from VDH. Personally I wouldn't use QED with MA, as for my ears I find the MA sound too metallic and bright in the treble, and I found the same with the QED cable, very thin and bright sounding and no bass, but you may find it different and suit your tastes.
Many years ago I used Audioquest which I liked, (Midnight) but it was very stiff, but I found it nice and smooth in the top end with a warmer more powerful bass, I don't know the names of the current versions of Audioquest range, I currently use Acoustic Revive which is rather good.

A

Anonymous

sorry the Chord Carnival Silver screen, its a beast of a cable for the money!

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I have a DACX and I love it! Its multi digital input is a major bonus. I have my CD/SACD player (only the CD part) and my ROKU M2000 working through it. I had planed to put my digital out from my cable box through that as well but never got around to it.

A

Anonymous

If you have 2 sets of bi-wire cable try connecting them in parallel. You may be amazed.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Well Dan, I have the same speakers as you and I have used QED SA XT (not biwire). I have switched to Chord and found that the bass is definitely better. I started with the Rumour cable (again not biwire) and then Odyssey and now the Odyssey 4 (biwire). The bass is thumping, tight and the sound very clear and accurate. I would not describe it bright at all - very smooth sounding. The Odyssey is over your price mark that you mention but I would recommend that you try the Rumour (Ebay used cables you can get a deal). The only reason I upgraded is that I found good deals and then moved my speakers, needed shorter lengths and so obviously the cables were cheaper. I have the Anthem interconnect which is amazing. I reckon you should try the Rumour and the Chameleon Silver Plus. Chord recommend it to work well with Rumour - "Chameleon Silver Plus is the first interconnect in the Chord range to use silver-plated oxygen free copper conductors and because of this, the obvious choice of speaker cable is Chord Rumour, the first speaker cable in the range to use this combination. The performance characteristics of both these cables make them ideal for use with each other and this is a particularly well-balanced combination.".

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]What do you mean sorry?[/quote]

Connect both cables at the same time.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Just to re-open this topic a bit more

I spoke to a guy at Audio Affair today and questioned him about the Chord speaker cables.

I really fancy buying the Chord Carnival silverscreen cable (2 x3m for each speaker for bi-amping so 12m all together) and i want to demo it against my QED Silver Anniversary bi-wire.

No he suggested also looking at the Chord Rumour 4 bi-wire cable (£20 p/m) and the Odyssey 4 bi-wire cable (£30 p/m) as well. Not the price of the Romour i can live with but i just cant seem to justify to myself spending £30 p/m for the Odyssey at this time.

My initial task was to trial the silver platted copper wire (QED) against the plain copper wire (Chord) and to see whether the treble tones down a little and the bass is upp'ed a little.

The guy @ Audio Affair went on to say that the coverings on the wire have alot to play with the sound as well suggesting the teflon coated Rumour and Odyssey are better.

Does anyone have any further opinions on this?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Thats what i was thinking.

I'm looking for a cable that offers me just that bit more clarity but for a similar price to the QED!

Cheers Andrew. With the £££ i'll save, i'll buy you a pint

Of orange juice, im a light weight so dont drink. 6ft 4 and 20stone, oh the shame haha...

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have the 640A + C version 2 and the BR2's. I am currently running QED SA XT, but was wondering if the Chord would tone down the top end a bit.....?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
With the system you have the SilverScreen will be more than good enough.
[/quote]

Andrew, do you think the same applies for my system?

I was considering the Rumour (Single) simply because of the size of the Silverscreen.

Picking some up on Friday.

Either Chord Silverscreen/Rumour or Supra Rondo.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
From what ive read about it, yes it will plus giving you a bit more fuller bass.

Where as ive got the M/A RS6's matched with the Arcam integrated and power amp (the Arcams are fairly mellow but still very punchy) the QED opens up the treble a bit more. The RS6's have forward treble and thats why i chose them to match with my Arcam, as above, theire laid back so i still get great well timed and punchy bass with smooth, well timed midrange and crisp/clear treble. Every so often though the trebles a little over facing, more so with some vocals.

The C/A seperates sound a bit more clinical so the treble will be a bit harsh so the Chord Carnival Silverscreen should do the job spot-on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts