QED Reference XT40i

abacus

NO, it’s the other way round, only audiophiles believe the cable manufactures hype, and mistake placebo effect as a factual difference, the rest of the world (Including musical professionals that use equipment that makes even high end HI-Fi sound mundane) deals in fact, however if you can provide independent verifiable evidence that they make a difference, then I look forward to the link, otherwise it would be better to say that it is your belief that they make a difference and not parade it as fact, when you review cables. (Trust is hard to gain but easily lost)

Bill

deltadel

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
I have to disagree with you in general with you Bill, as in my experience everything in hifi, especially cables, is subjective. A hifi system is a complex equation of everything you can think of. The music source, the components, the cables, the room, the power supply, the weather, the time of day, your mood .......!
The only safe way is to make a personal comparison in your own system with your own ears.
Would you compare a Gibson acoustic with a Martin acoustic without listening to them ?
Hifi reviews help to guide you in the right direction.
If it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you.

Hifiman2007

Mar 3, 2020
Visit site
Actually. This and other magazines used to review and tell us expensive HDMI cables made a massive difference. They don't now. Why? Because it was exposed as total lies and Currys even agreed to refund customers misold them. So ....while I do think analogue cables can make a difference I do think magazines greatly exagrate it. Sometimes sounding different does not mean better

petergabriel

Oct 30, 2019
www.petergabriel.dk
NO, it’s the other way round, only audiophiles believe the cable manufactures hype, and mistake placebo effect as a factual difference, the rest of the world (Including musical professionals that use equipment that makes even high end HI-Fi sound mundane) deals in fact, however if you can provide independent verifiable evidence that they make a difference, then I look forward to the link, otherwise it would be better to say that it is your belief that they make a difference and not parade it as fact, when you review cables. (Trust is hard to gain but easily lost)

Bill

I work in a professional studio, and we don't just use any cable. There is a big difference, and this goes for your home hifi as well. Many people just don't have the ears or equipment to hear the difference. I can, and its not a placebo. I have had speaker cables sound boomy, lacking bass or being too shrill in the top end. Making a/b tests on the same day showed an obvious difference, making it possible to find the right cable for my system and listening preferences. I must add though, that I find it easier to hear the difference with analogue cables, digital, I am not sure I can.

Hifiman2007

Mar 3, 2020
Visit site
As I said I do think analogue cables can sound different. However sometimes different is not better. Monster cables for instance have gone virtually bust because it was made clear that they sold overpriced cables that made no difference ....hifi magazines claimed they did and regularly reviewed as such. Obviously sold advertising space. So I think what hifi and other reviewers have a duty to make it clear they prefer the sound of the cable and not blindly say "it is better" I just wish they would take blind tests without knowing price ,brand, of item that would be more realistic and accurate. Anyone would be influenced by knowing price or brand first.

Travis Daki

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
As I said I do think analogue cables can sound different. However sometimes different is not better. Monster cables for instance have gone virtually bust because it was made clear that they sold overpriced cables that made no difference ....hifi magazines claimed they did and regularly reviewed as such. Obviously sold advertising space. So I think what hifi and other reviewers have a duty to make it clear they prefer the sound of the cable and not blindly say "it is better" I just wish they would take blind tests without knowing price ,brand, of item that would be more realistic and accurate. Anyone would be influenced by knowing price or brand first.

I was as sceptical as the next man, about cables making any difference whatsoever - speaker cables in particular. But then, back in the late 90s I swapped the hardware-store cables I used (10m for €5 in today's money) with the entry-level Monster Cable (can't remember the model name but it was praised but WHF), and the results where shocking. And I'm talking budget hifi here; Rotel RA-02 with Tannoy Mercury M1. Mids came to life, and the low-end tightened up. So yes, the (loudspeaker)cables can - and do make a difference. ♫♪

chpmpg

Apr 29, 2021
Visit site

Bill

I have to disagree too.

I was a skeptic years ago. Wire is just wire right?

Seems not.

I have (currently) three different speaker cables. (I had some basic feebie lengths too but chucked them ages ago). Same lengths and banana terminations, Ecosse 4.45 biwire, QED XT 40 and Nordost spellbinder cables.

Acquired them all at different times (and setups) over the years. I'm in the process of trying to decide which one of the three to keep at the moment as I have downsized to just one simple system now. And it seems wasteful to have so much spare kit lying around. They each give a different sound. A very perceptible difference in sonic characteristics.

Even my wife, who usually looks upon my hifi interest with a gaze that ranges from rolled eyes "there there, dear" amused bafflement to downright annoyance has agreed that there is an effect.

I really would try to borrow a few different cables if I were you and try them out with your own set up. If you can't hear anything between them, then fine. In my experience though, makes more of a difference than you would think.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts