QED Classic 79 Strand?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I need some advice on speaker cable. I have a Marantz 4001 amp; Marantz 5001 CD player; Project Debut II TT and Mordaunt Short 902i speakers.

I was currently using QED silver anniversary bi-wire cable to connect my speakers, but I now need longer cable (having just moved my system). My budget is pretty tight and I can't justify spending £50+ on speaker cable.

Does anyone know if QED classic 79 strand cable would be perfectly good enough for my system?

Or any other cables anyone could recommend? I have a budget of about £20 - £25 to spend and I need about 10 metres of cable (2 x 5 metres). I could do with some bananna plugs too.

Not sure if bi-wiring really makes a difference at all, so not particularly bothered about buying bi-wire cable again.

Hope someone can advise.

Chris.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Good stuff. I have used it many times in the past [harrrummph]ty years. The white ones sound better :)

I now use QED Original (OFC copper fig. 8 cross section) which is supposed to be a 'low cost' development of Classic 79 Strand.

I got mine free including free, soldered* banana plugs. (Ok, swapped for a couple of no longer needed old Chord phono - DIN leads by my dealer) so I don't know how much terminated pairs cost.

*Don't get your plugs crimped with QED AirLoc**. Do get plugs soldered on properly***.

**They fall off a lot.

***They don't.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, John.

Probably a stupid question, but I guess this stuff is the same as the QED 79? Or will there be no noticeable difference?

Chris.

A

Anonymous

Would this stuff be OK? (I may order 2 lots of 10 m)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-2-x-2-5mm-322-Strand-HiFi-Loudspeaker-Speaker-Cable-/330602237303?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item4cf96dcd77#ht_800wt_1144

Chris.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I remember using the QED 79 strand in the 90's it was a an okay cable in its time. I have used the QED silver screen and I think that is a better cable overall except a little bright.

I would recommend chord silverscreen or some cheaper supra rhonda cable.

Cheers

Steve.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I remember using the QED 79 strand in the 90's it was a an okay cable in its time. I have used the QED silver screen and I think that is a better cable overall except a little bright.

I would recommend chord silverscreen or some cheaper supra rhonda cable.

Cheers

Steve.

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
QED 79 is a decent cable, gets the job done. But you could look for Van Damme UP-LCOFC or Blue, maybe just a little more expensive if you get the 2.5mm.

If you can stretch a little bit more, Cable Talk 3 should be a marked improvement, but for £3.99/m untermitated.

Also look out for Sommecable. I went from QED 79 to Sommercable Orbit 240 and the improvement was not subtle at all.

A

Anonymous

Hopefully the OP has made his purchase by now, but as a side note to anyone purchasing some 79 strand - there's no coloured indication for positive or negative, but instead a slight ridge down one side indicates polarity. Can catch people out if you don't know what you're looking for.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Good stuff. I have used it many times in the past [harrrummph]ty years. The white ones sound better :)

I now use QED Original (OFC copper fig. 8 cross section) which is supposed to be a 'low cost' development of Classic 79 Strand.

I got mine free including free, soldered* banana plugs. (Ok, swapped for a couple of no longer needed old Chord phono - DIN leads by my dealer) so I don't know how much terminated pairs cost.

*Don't get your plugs crimped with QED AirLoc**. Do get plugs soldered on properly***.

**They fall off a lot.

***They don't.

Hi Chebby just come accross your post which is interesting to me.
I have a system that comprises Audiolab 8200CD Player, Rega Brio R Amplifier and Monitor Audio RX6 speakers.
To fit the RX6s in I have revamped my lounge and need to rewire the speakers. The longest run is 5 metres but the cable has to pass below a skirting board so I need a slim cable.
I was thinking of using either QED Classic 79 Strand or QED Original, size wise these two cables work well.
In view of your post do you think that the QED Original is a better cable?

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:

**They fall off a lot.

***They don't.

Hi Chebby just seen this post of yours, it is interesting to me. I have a system that comprises Audiolab 8200CD Player, Rega Brio R Amplifier and Monitor Audio RX6 speakers. To fit the RX6s in I have revamped my lounge and need to rewire the speakers. The longest run is 5 metres but the cable has to pass below a skirting board so I need a slim cable. I was thinking of using either QED Classic 79 Strand or QED Original, size wise these two cables work well. Do you think that the QED Original would a better cable for my systrem

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Coll said:
Hi Chebby just seen this post of yours, it is interesting to me. I have a system that comprises Audiolab 8200CD Player, Rega Brio R Amplifier and Monitor Audio RX6 speakers. To fit the RX6s in I have revamped my lounge and need to rewire the speakers. The longest run is 5 metres but the cable has to pass below a skirting board so I need a slim cable. I was thinking of using either QED Classic 79 Strand or QED Original, size wise these two cables work well. Do you think that the QED Original would a better cable for my systrem

Have you taken a look at what QED recommends?

http://www.qed.co.uk/speaker-cables/performance/qed-original-cable.htm

May be of help with your conumdrum...if it still exists? :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts