QAV Soundbar - Review from someone who has actually heard one...

DjP

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

There is some chit chat on this forum about the QAV 5.1 soundbar, but very little feedback from anyone who owns one / has auditioned one, which would be really useful. I'm hoping to be able to find time to get to a shop and audition personally, but I appreciate the feedback from folk here too.

I really like the *idea* of this, but am ever sceptical. I want it mostly for TV / movies to pair with Pana DB30, Sony 40W4000 and Sky HD. TV is in the corner of the room which is large-ish (4m x 4m) and has wooden floor. We sometimes have problem hearing dialogue clearly throught the TV speakers.

I suspect will pair with entry-ish level Yahama win-all-the-awards-but-has-product-code-that-doesn't-stick-in-my-mind or the new Onk 507 (I'll wait for the mag next week for a review!).

For bonus points: is there value in using posh cable - I'm thinking QED Silver Anniversary - with the QAV? The fronts will be very close to the receiver - is distance a factor when chosing cable? Obv the rears will be further away...

Thanks in advance, appreciate the help!

DjP

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I've got a QAV system in one room. Room didn't have space for normal 5.1 setup. Overall I would say that I am pleased with it. However, you have to accept whilst the sound eminating from it fills the room the sense of left and right coming from the fronts is limited (rears are fine cause you can stick them anywhere).

Is your TV wallmounted or on a stand? If on a stand then you really need to purchase the Q Acoustics stand which adds to the cost of the system.

If the room could have accommodated a proper 5.1 setup I would have gone for one. This system represents a compromise. Having said that I think it is a better compromise than some of the stand alone soundbars which bounce sound off the walls.

DjP

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi Cram, thanks for the quick reply.

TV is on a stand, so I know I'm up for another £150 (better than the £250+ of last year!).

I'm avoiding bounce-around-the-room systems, because I don't think I could ever get that to work for the shape and layout of the room - two sofas at right angles to each other, TV in the corner etc.

Real reason for looking at this is, inevitably, the missus, who isn't keen on all the wires, stands and other paraphernalia, but also I'm challenged because the TV is in a corner between a bay window and a fireplace, so I suspect I couldn't get the fronts too far apart anyway.

Thanks again.

DjP

TRENDING THREADS