Q Acoustics 3030i

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I was just about to buy the 3050i when these were announced a few months ago. Was eagerly anticipating the What HiFi review for comparison. How do they compare to the larger floor standers ad part of a 5.1 system?

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
I have always been a bit puzzled by speakers like these, as standmounts. They don't take up any less room, on stands, than floor standers. The Atacama stands that these look to perched on - the Atacamas are a 5* stand, at any rate - are £120 at Richer Sounds and elsewhere.

Total price £419 from R. S. - the same price as a pr of Fyne Audios 302's. Oberon 5's @ £499. Q Acoustics 3050 [G] @ £349.

Unless floor space is an issue and these speakers must go on shelves - they used to be called 'bookshelf', this sort of speaker - why lose the bottom end that only volume [of air shifted] can give?

And the performance if placed on a shelf is almost certainly going to be inferior to stand-mount. Back to sq 1.

As my guitar guru says, why buy a two pick-up guitar - 2/3rds of a guitar - when you can buy a Strat? [Yeah, I know - humbuckers v s/c]

Reactions: kzh

Flinty

Aug 28, 2020
Visit site
I have always been a bit puzzled by speakers like these, as standmounts. They don't take up any less room, on stands, than floor standers. The Atacama stands that these look to perched on - the Atacamas are a 5* stand, at any rate - are £120 at Richer Sounds

Haven't you heard of the 'Wife Acceptance Factor'?

Nij1

Feb 9, 2021
Visit site
I have always been a bit puzzled by speakers like these, as standmounts. They don't take up any less room, on stands, than floor standers. The Atacama stands that these look to perched on - the Atacamas are a 5* stand, at any rate - are £120 at Richer Sounds and elsewhere.

Total price £419 from R. S. - the same price as a pr of Fyne Audios 302's. Oberon 5's @ £499. Q Acoustics 3050 [G] @ £349.

Unless floor space is an issue and these speakers must go on shelves - they used to be called 'bookshelf', this sort of speaker - why lose the bottom end that only volume [of air shifted] can give?

And the performance if placed on a shelf is almost certainly going to be inferior to stand-mount. Back to sq 1.

As my guitar guru says, why buy a two pick-up guitar - 2/3rds of a guitar - when you can buy a Strat? [Yeah, I know - humbuckers v s/c]
Surely the issue is the size of the room. I live in an apartment with a fairly small living room and found floorstanders overwhelming which meant I had to play them at low volumes in order not to upset the neighbours. It meant they could never really ‘sing’. Smaller speakers means you can turn them up and really hear what they can do.

Reactions: Mr. C Nation

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
Surely the issue is the size of the room. I live in an apartment with a fairly small living room and found floorstanders overwhelming which meant I had to play them at low volumes in order not to upset the neighbours. It meant they could never really ‘sing’. Smaller speakers means you can turn them up and really hear what they can do.
That's a very fair point. Never had that problem - well, not since flat share/bedsit 50 years ago 😄

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
I have heard of it. Despite efforts to remedy this omission, never had the problem. And the g/fs along the way have usually appreciated the sound quality, without being aware of the reasons. I remember one saying "Wow! It's like you're there!" It was a Haydn symphony, as I recall.

the parrys

Nov 9, 2021
Visit site
I have owned Concept 20s and 3050i 2050i 2020i , i now prefer 3030i over all above, i found the Concept 20s lacking in bass but not clarity so were not 100% , the 3050i just sounded boring flat sounding safe no sparkle, the 3030i just play everything right and fun to listen to, even badly recorded tracks sound good on these babies, also great for streaming music and mould well as fronts for AV Set up, they look fantastic, they have excellent bass extension and weight for bookshelf one of best i have listened to for this size, i have loads of speakers and i always put these back in main system (for now) just like the overall sound Q acoustics have nailed it, treble not so harsh either neither are mids, i found mids nasty on the early 2020i so good improvement overall, these are good quality stand mounts that wont break the bank and not fussy and play on any system, you can put anywhere in any room in your house and still sound great out the box, and play well with all types of music, these could be the speakers for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts