Q-acoustics 2010 enough for bedroom? Alternatives?

krazy_olie

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for some speakers for my bedroom which is at it's longest 3m, but I think listening position will be considerbaly closer. I'm keen on the q-acoustics 2010 because of their size, and I'm not sure if I need anything bigger than it. This is to match an mcr502.

The reason behind the thinking is that even my audioengine a2 speakers can quite hapily fill this room in terms of volume and fullness of sound, albeit not with outstanding fidelity (they sound much better close up). Done plenty of research on matching speakers to the marantz, just trying to gague an idea on what is sensible for a small area.

The dimensions for the 2020 and most of the other 5.25" speakers looks as though they would be just a little bit too big, the exception being the Boston Acoustics A25 which is compact and neatly styled and I like the description in the review of this pair too. These are still within my budget, so money aside are they likely worth that little bit extra bulk of about 3cm in each direction?

The new 'i' replacements are coming out, following the glowing 2020i review could be worth waiting? The current set are going for £100 or so at the moment but £20 here or there is not my biggest concern in the long term. Not sure if I've found any other 4"/small alternatives, audioengine do a passive 4" which would probably sound quite similar in signature(good thing!) to the a2, although no idea where I'd be able to hear these.

Advice/alternatives extremely welcome

I have a sevenoaks not far from my work so will pop in one lunch time (or two) but I think it'd be hard to tell exactly how well things translate from the demo room to the living room.

Cheers, Oliver

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
I can't really comment on the sound quality, but if it's a small room I'd go for smaller speakers and add a subwoofer later if i felt i needed a bit more bottom end. Q Acoustics 2010 or 2010i i'm sure would be spot on, but I'd also give the kef Q100 a listen. I heard the Q300 with the Marantz MCR503 and they have excellent imaging and a lovely clear sound. The 300s are quite big though, hence my suggestion of the Q100.

krazy_olie

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I do like the look of the Kefs but I'd rather not spend that sort of level at the moment. Probably should have got them when they were doing the 20% off deal.

I was recommended the b&w dm600, they tend to pop up on ebay quite often.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Can't comment on the B&Ws, but if you go down the second hand route I'm sure there are plenty of good options. Maybe some Mission 750 or 751 could be worth a look.

Personally I'd go for the Q Acoustics as you'll know exactly what you're getting and can listen to them in a shop.

A

Anonymous

Up until last week i had a pair of 2010's on the end of my amp and they sounded fantastic, they are great speakers!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Audioengine P4 ... if you search around some of the US reviews they say that the P4 is considerably better than the A2 you already have. I like the bamboo ones ... very niiiice!

krazy_olie

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, after doing a bit more measuring think I'm tentatively going to go with the q-acoustics. For the mean time I'm going to have the system positioned width ways across the room and probably wall mount them to have a 25cm block sticking out would just look plain weird, plus the q-acoustics have some dedcated mounts. I wish i could try the audioengines but they seem to pretty much be internet order only, I know I can hear and buy the q-acoustics on the spot. Also the front port on the a2 at least I think makes the low mids really thick, which is great for gaming and for headbanging... not so great fo more delicate material.

The whathifi review of the cinema system reckons the 2010i are even better, think they are coming out this week so will hold out for these.

I think if I decide to shift my room aorund and go lengthways I will want something larger/more upmarket.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts