Q Acoustics 1010i speakers - 5.1 to 7.1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As I have mentioned a couple of times on this site, I am awaiting delivery of my Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 speaker package (along with Onkyo 607 receiver). But as I am fairly new to the world of home cinema I am after a bit of advice.

My question is, What speakers would be best to buy to turn my Q Acoustics from 5.1 in to a 7.1 system ??

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be an ideal pairing??

Kind Regards

Andy

A

Anonymous

Andy,

I have a pair of 1050s. They sound great in 7.1 configuration. I used to have them with an Onkyo 606, but they sound even better with the Pioneer LX51. I have no experience of the 607. They integrate very nicely with the rest of the package and give a great sense of scale to proceedings. They even sound acceptable with music from the iPod or Laptop.

I think you could do worse. Keep us updated with what you decide.

Shuggie

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
In my case the 1050 were too big for the room, so I changed the fronts of my 5.1 to the 1030i speakers.

Instead of using the old front speakers to create a 7.1 surround sound, I bi amped the fronts to create a 'better' stereo sound with the onkyo 606.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

I quite like the idea of using the 1050's but without wanting to sound stupid, where exactly would I position the existing two front speakers? Obviously they would be getting replaced by the new floorstanders so would I position them higher up on the wall or something?? Please can you advise?

Thanks

Andy

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you want to use the PLIIz 'presence effect', then yes, the two 'spare' speakers should be mounted at least a metre above the main speakers, either directly above or further out toward the side walls - not further in toward the TV.

If you want to run a conventional 7.1 system, then of course the 'spare speakers' become the surround backs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew.

Which system would be best in your opinion?

If I wanted to go for the conventional system, where would i position each of the surround speakers?

Thanks

Andy

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
andyb1984:Which system would be best in your opinion?

If I wanted to go for the conventional system, where would i position each of the surround speakers?

Haven't spent enough time with PLIIz to form a solid opinion, but the view from the review crew seems to be that the benefits of the extra rear surrounds are greater than those of the presence channel. Mind you, that's based on one set of testing sessions with one amp - the only amp so far available - with the option.

oI'd go for a conventional set-up, perhaps using the floorstanders on the front left and right, with the surround speakers arranged slightly behind and to each side, and a pair of speakers to the rear of the listening position.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for a sharp reply Andrew.

One other question I have is: The Onkyo 607 is I believe 7.2 capable; so if I was to purchase a 2nd subwoofer, would I best off buying a 2nd Q Acoustics 1000si sub to match the one that I will be getting in the 5.1 package?

What is your advice on going to a 7.2 system?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
andyb1984:
Thanks again for a sharp reply Andrew.

One other question I have is: The Onkyo 607 is I believe 7.2 capable; so if I was to purchase a 2nd subwoofer, would I best off buying a 2nd Q Acoustics 1000si sub to match the one that I will be getting in the 5.1 package?

What is your advice on going to a 7.2 system?

I would only bother going with 2 subs if you have a really large room.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd agree with M Escargot on this one, but I have long been a believer in the benefits of using two small subs rather than one big one if you want clean, fast bass without overdriving the room.

The QAcou sub should be fine for your room - you could always try to borrow/home trial a second one later if you think you need more bass.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts