Q acoustic 1010i vs 1020i for music playback

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I have recently bought the onkyo 606 (like everyone else!!) and a set of Q acoustic 1010i 5.1 speakers. It all sounds great with movies, but the midrange is a bit thin when used for music playback.

I know that av amps are not too good for music playback (especially when last set up was Marantz KI amp/cd player and Tannoy DC2000 speakers-hard system to follow!!), but would replacing the front 1010i speakers with the 1020i improve this problem?

Obviously, I have the 1010i being used as best i can: on the stands made for them, with sand inside and a granite slab underneath.(with QED silver anniversairy cable, and cable talk monitor 3 interconnections)

I currently run the music playback as a 2.1, as the small speakers on their own are quite weak, and I have the sub set at a crossover of 140hz and the level at about 10 o'clock.

So, the big question is: would the 1020i improve the midrange for music playback when compared to the 1010i? Altnernatively, would the 1030i be even better? Obviously my current set up with the crossover nearly at its limit, means I am letting as much midrange get to the sub as possible.

Anyone help me?.........................

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Think i have just found a way to improve the midrange and vocals on the 1010i speakers to make them sound a great deal better!!!!

There is no need to replace them with anything else like the 1020i, just buy a...............

Tacima CS929 main conditioner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What hifi gave it 5 star rating and described it as:

'This six-way mains conditioner delivers truly dramatic audio gains. Comparing its performance to the 'unconditioned' sound, our reference CD/amp system enjoys greater separation and focus of sound, and greater clarity and confidence in the midrange. Bass is burlier and better integrated, too.'

And thats exactly what it has done to my system. Vocals don't sound like they are being sung in a box now. The separation of all instruments has a massive improvement and the bass is 'burlier and better integrated'.

This must be the best performance per pound upgrade I have ever bought.

Why is this product not up for 'Product of the Year', Clare?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts