PV1 Subwoofer

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i am the owner of a PV1 sub and am dissapointed with it. i purchased to use with 5 B&W M1 speakers into my new Denon 4308 receiver. it plays well and fills in the midrange but does not produce sub bass sounds. i also heard a Rel 305 at the same time in the shop which completely battered the PV1 in all aspects apart from looks and was £200 cheaper.at best the PV1 is a 500 quid sub in a designer shell. just hope i can shift it on ebay!! i am now really regretting this buy and am saving for the Rel. i have read what hi fi for 15 years and have always trusted their reviews initally for 2 channel stereo reviews which formed the basis of my first Arcam, Marantz, Mission hi fi back in the early 90's. how the mag can rave about the PV1 so much when their are much better subs for the money from Rel, and Sunfire on the market ido not know. only got the PV1 as my partner prefered the look of it. if anyone looks on other forums, then they will see how low the PV1 is regarded. having said that, i shall continue to subscribe to the magazine as most of the other advise is sound. PS i owned a Onkyo 875 for 3 months last year and the Denon is a much more detailed sound, but then is twice the price. the heat issue with the Onkyo's is a joke as well. the Denon is run at loud volumes and hardly gets warm

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="quasibongo"]PS i owned a Onkyo 875 for 3 months last year and the Denon is a much more detailed sound, but then is twice the price. the heat issue with the Onkyo's is a joke as well. the Denon is run at loud volumes and hardly gets warm[/quote]

I should hope the Denon does give a much more detailed sound - it's twice the price of the Onkyo.

And I have to say again that I've used the 875 extensively, and never had any heat problems with it at all.

Yes, we do still rate the PV1 very highly, but if you were so confident of the superiority of the performance of the REL in the shop when you demonstrated it, why on earth did you buy the PV1, however good it looks? As we always say, it's your opinion that should be the final arbiter.

A

Anonymous

Well i'm happy with mine and setup is crucial. How big is the room? How is it positioned? Try different places in the room, find the 'node' as B&W calls it. I reckon the bass of some other subs can go down lower but are they as musical, subtle and restrained when they need to be or are they all wham bam thankyou mam?

R

A

Anonymous

maybe i had a funny onkyo then? you could have fried an egg on mine!!

not having a go at the magazine with regard to the pv1, but it's a lifestyle product and the current rel and sunfire ranges leave it for dead. i took you advice regarding two channel eqipment in the early 90's andrew and never regreted it, particulay my old marantz cd63 ki sig. my comment regarding the denon as having a more detailed sound was with regard to multichannel use as i use a cyrus system for two channel. the review of the denon said "you can get similar sound for half the price" the onkyo sounds no where near as good as the Denon by i guess it's a personal opinion

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="quasibongo"]particulay my old marantz cd63 ki sig.[/quote]

Mmm, wonderful machine - still have mine, though unfortunately my marantz pm66SE ki sig amp gave up the ghost a few years back... :-(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts