Purchased the Marantz CR603 and...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm massively, bloomin amazed
smiley-cool.gif

I've bought this to replace the NAD C355BEE amp I had in my 2nd system; just got it home, hooked it up to my speakers and listened to some DAB radio and some CD's and it's fantastic

Massive amounts of high quality sound; great bass weight which is important to me as I listen to a lot of music like Massive Attack, Deadmouse, Roykksop, Mount & Kimbie etc... but it also has a superb soundstage with well timed midrange and very crisp/clear treble but no brightness and NONE of the 'Marantz' sound that I've not got on with in the past (i.e. a bit overly smooth and lacking in bass weight etc...)

I've just ordered an Ethernet Bridge so will get that soon and get it all hooked up to the internet plis Airplay via iTunes etc...

I'm still tempted to sell the M/A RX2's (they're still on eBay until Sunday so will see what happens) I've got and go for some M/A BX5 floorstanding speakers but none were in today when I collected the Marantz so will hopefully get some on home demo. Did manage to listen to some Castle Knight 4 speakers; they're gorgeous. VERY well finished and small in sized but to me they sounded a little wooden and boxy. Hopefully the M/A BX5's will be a LOT better
smiley-smile.gif

Will report back with more feedback when I've had time and not been listening to the CR603 too much
smiley-tongue-out.gif

T

the record spot

Thanks to yours, Chebby's and HFL-1979's comments, this piece has taken on a new interest. There's no denying the appeal of the downsize, but not at the expense of sound quality.

A couple of queries though, there's some variation on the 8-ohm power ratings - I think Marantz quote 60wpc, other sites have it at 40 and one or two, including the review have it at 50. Can someone confirm - probably from the manual please?! Also, I take it no SACD for the disc player this unlike their higher end players?

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Audio AMP

Rated output

(1 kHz, total harmonic distortion 0.7 %, 8 Ω) 40 W + 40 W

(1 kHz, total harmonic distortion 0.7 %, 6 Ω) 50 W + 50 W

Effective maximum output

(1 kHz, total harmonic distortion 10 %, 8 Ω) 50 W + 50 W

(1 kHz, total harmonic distortion 10 %, 6 Ω) 60 W + 60 W
smiley-smile.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
In other words, it'll do 60W a side, but only if you allow for significant THD, downhill, and with the wind behind it. However, when you listen to it, it never sounds in any way short of power, grip or clout.

T

the record spot

I'm surprised that it has such a high THD even at its best rating on 40w though. Is there any reason why this is so high for this product, when we're pretty used to seeing THD figures in the thousandths of a percent? Even my old amp's rated at 0.03% and that's nearly 35 years old!

(And much of this is down to my non-existant technical appreciation here of course).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
I'm surprised that it has such a high THD even at its best rating on 40w though. Is there any reason why this is so high for this product, when we're pretty used to seeing THD figures in the thousandths of a percent? Even my old amp's rated at 0.03% and that's nearly 35 years old!

No idea. Don't care.

I did care a bit when I first saw those figures (I had already ordered the thing unseen and unheard) but - after getting it up and running - my misgivings were completely dispelled and the question of what might - theoretically - happen at 1khz into an 8 or 6 ohm resistor at maximum volume became entirely irrelevant.

For what it's worth, my Rega speakers are 6 ohms and reasonably efficient at 89db (1 watt 1 meter etc etc.) and I have yet to achieve any volume that betrays distress to speakers or amp module. I am certainly never going to rack the volume up to the maximum for fear of deafness/harm to the equipment/ASBO.

Have any of us ever - deliberately - explored what happens when an amplifier's volume is turned up to the end stop?

The M-CR603 probably offends a few measuristas but that's no concern of mine. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

T

the record spot

I typically get to around 9 o'clock on the 717 and that's way more than enough. A couple of times I've taken it up to 12 o'clock and it's painful. Never gone right the way round the 5 o'clock on the dial but imagine the speakers would be ready to pack up and go by that point.

the record spot said:
I typically get to around 9 o'clock on the 717 and that's way more than enough. A couple of times I've taken it up to 12 o'clock and it's painful. Never gone right the way round the 5 o'clock on the dial but imagine the speakers would be ready to pack up and go by that point.

If it's really painful at high levels then look at the Leema... ;)

Seriously, like you, I rarely turn it beyond 9 o'clockish, but when I do the Leema and MAs produce a wall shaking sound. There's so much control. You've had experience of the Leema, haven't you?

T

the record spot

Ah, mate, the Leema didn't clock up too well at high volume...bit glassy y'see, hence why I stuck with the better amp.
smiley-wink.gif

the record spot said:
Ah, mate, the Leema didn't clock up too well at high volume...bit glassy y'see, hence why I stuck with the better amp.
smiley-wink.gif

That pretty much sums up the reviews I've read - if you ever visit the deep south you're more than welcome to pop in and you'll experience my take on the Leema... unless, of course, I'm a sort of alien.

It certainly doesn't sound "glassy" at high levels, hence why I'm reluctant to tamper...

T

the record spot

Probably the limitations of the 752 when pushed in all fairness. The Leema's 80 or 85wpc was fine, but I rarely ramp up the volume at home, even though we've no neighbours immediately next door to us!

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Most people would be shocked at how little power you use into reasonably sensitive speakers at domestically sensible levels.

I find it easier to rate your amps output in dbw rather than just watts to give you an idea of how loud you can go!

Add your speakers sensitivity to your amps rating in dbw.*

As an example I'm going to use PMC's DB1's rated at 87dbw/1m per speaker( which is the same as 2 speakers at 2m), and a nice easy 8ohm load.

As dbw are log base10 so:

1w per channel = 0 dbw thus output is 87db which is loud enough for raised voice for conversation.

10w per channel = 10 dbw thus output is 97db this is loud enough for almost shouting for conversation.

100w per channel = 20dbw thus output is 107db very loud causing ringing in the ears after 10 mins of exposure.

* If your speakers are rated 4ohms deduct 3db from there sensitivity rating*

So if you dont play really loud and have resonably sensitive speakers ( and sit much more than 2 meters away) you will only be using 10w or so.

Go buy a cheap spl meter you will be suprised!
smiley-smile.gif

the record spot said:
Probably the limitations of the 752 when pushed in all fairness. The Leema's 80 or 85wpc was fine, but I rarely ramp up the volume at home, even though we've no neighbours immediately next door to us!

Understandable: it proves, yet again, that every component, however good, bad or indifferent, has its limitations.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
Thanks to yours, Chebby's and HFL-1979's comments, this piece has taken on a new interest. There's no denying the appeal of the downsize, but not at the expense of sound quality.

A couple of queries though, there's some variation on the 8-ohm power ratings - I think Marantz quote 60wpc, other sites have it at 40 and one or two, including the review have it at 50. Can someone confirm - probably from the manual please?! Also, I take it no SACD for the disc player this unlike their higher end players?

Unfortunately no; no SACD playback but I suppose you cant expect everything in a system this size!

I do think that built-in wifi capabilities would have finished the Marantz system off IMO but I dont mind sorting it with an ethernet bridge!

I am massively impressed with the sound quality; played all sorts ranging from Dean Marting and Nat King Cole to Metallica, Royyksop and The Cinematic Orchestra last night and the soundstage is superb.

Had a good fiddle with the bass/midrange/treble arrangements last night and think I've got it to where I want; may change though if my RX2's sell and I go for some floorstanders

Going from decent seperates to an all-in-one system; I'm highly confident in saying that anyone considering this should take the leap. Audio-T in Preston gave it to me on a home demo and within an hour of getting it home and setting ip up I was calling them to say that I wont be brining it back haha
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

I think it'll handle a majority of budget to high mid-range floorstanders with ease

I know it's been tested with the likes of the PMC GB1i's and the Rega RS5's and come out with blistering results; so the likes of the M/A BX and RX range as well as B&W's 600 range and the likes should do just fine as well
smiley-smile.gif

If this was for my main system I'd be very tempted at the PMC's, however it's not so I think either some new M/A BX5's or some decent 2nd hand M/A RS6's and I'd be very happy

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
jiggyjoe said:
Most people would be shocked at how little power you use into reasonably sensitive speakers at domestically sensible levels.

I find it easier to rate your amps output in dbw rather than just watts to give you an idea of how loud you can go!

Add your speakers sensitivity to your amps rating in dbw.*

As an example I'm going to use PMC's DB1's rated at 87dbw/1m per speaker( which is the same as 2 speakers at 2m), and a nice easy 8ohm load.

As dbw are log base10 so:

1w per channel = 0 dbw thus output is 87db which is loud enough for raised voice for conversation.

10w per channel = 10 dbw thus output is 97db this is loud enough for almost shouting for conversation.

100w per channel = 20dbw thus output is 107db very loud causing ringing in the ears after 10 mins of exposure.

* If your speakers are rated 4ohms deduct 3db from there sensitivity rating*

So if you dont play really loud and have resonably sensitive speakers ( and sit much more than 2 meters away) you will only be using 10w or so.

Go buy a cheap spl meter you will be suprised!
smiley-smile.gif

according to harmon kardon you need a lot more power to avoid clipping on dynamic peaks.

"This section will suggest how big a power amplifier you need to fill a venue with loud, clear sound. Basically, the louder the sound system and the bigger the room, the more power is required. Loudspeakers with high sensitivity need less power than loudspeakers with low sensitivity.

The list below recommends the total amplifier power needed for several applications. Each application has a range of power based on the desired loudness and the typical loudspeaker sensitivity.

In compiling this list, we made the following assumptions:
  • Typical loudspeaker sensitivity is 85 dB SPL/W/m for home stereos, 95 dB SPL/W/m for small PA speakers, 100-105 dB for medium PA speakers, and 110 dB for large PA speakers.
  • The recommended power allows for signal peaks of 10 dB for folk, jazz and pop music. Actually the peaks might be as high as 25 dB, but we're allowing for some inaudible short-term clipping.
  • The recommended power allows for signal peaks of 6 dB for rock music that is highly limited or compressed.
  • According to Crown's chief amplifier engineer, Gerald Stanley, amplifier continuous power and amplifier peak power are nearly the same. Typically, peak power is only 1 dB higher than continuous power, and depends on peak duration.
Total amplifier power required in various applications
  • Nearfield monitoring: 25 W for 85 dB SPL average (with 15 dB peaks), 250 W for 95 dB SPL average (with 15 dB peaks)
  • Home stereo: 150 W for 85 dB SPL average (with 15 dB peaks), 1,500 W for 95 dB SPL average (with 15 dB peaks)"

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Craig M. said:
... Home stereo: 150 W for 85 dB SPL average (with 15 dB peaks), 1,500 W for 95 dB SPL average (with 15 dB peaks)"...

An average SPL of 85db is the threshold at which hearing damage can occur if listened to for long periods.

An average SPL of 95db with peaks up to 110db would (legally) require the mandatory use of ear defenders in the workplace.

A

Anonymous

Please stop spamming my thread with techno-jargon re listening levels and gobldygook haha
smiley-tongue-out.gif

This post was supposed to be my review of the Marantz system not an argument about power etc...
smiley-yell.gif

TRENDING THREADS