PS4 likely to be announced today

What features do you expect? Will it spur 4K (ultra HD) growth? What will it look like?

via-pluggedin.co_.uk_.jpg

b74f51abda269abaf8b483d011791ede.jpg

sony-ps4-touch-pad-controller.jpg

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
Surprise! Wow, that was weird. It looked like it might happen... and then by God it did. No console, price, hardware of any description, just a load of developers, games and potential features. Jeez.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
The general hardware spec's were announced and tbh i'm not that impressed.

My PC already sports as much processing power, more RAM and when I upgrade in the autumn I hope to have a gfx card two generations beyond it's launch spec's!

I've got feeling in my bones that between this and the XBOX 720 (if it ends up being called that) will be the last consoles as we think of them at the moment. The next generation are going to be very different indeed.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
drichardb said:
The general hardware spec's were announced and tbh i'm not that impressed.

My PC already sports as much processing power, more RAM and when I upgrade in the autumn I hope to have a gfx card two generations beyond it's launch spec's!

I've got feeling in my bones that between this and the XBOX 720 (if it ends up being called that) will be the last consoles as we think of them at the moment. The next generation are going to be very different indeed.

It's a totally unfair comparison.

Go into task manager and tell me how many processes are running? Go into Services and see how much stuff is doing stuff all the time. Compare that to an OS that is tuned as a console.

I'd say 8GB DDR5 RAM is MORE than enough to be very nice indeed.

Not to mention that the price of a latest top-end video card is MORE than the likely retail price of the PS4.

Don't get me wrong, I like PC gaming, especially when it comes to FPS, but it's hard to beat the all-round experience of a good console, including having mates round playing Fifa or LBP or watching Netflix, playing music or doing a quiz, sat around the TV on sofas and armchairs rather than a monitor on a desk.

I'll be getting one (or the XBOX, whichever comes first assuming similar specs).

I don't understand the reason for the launch event at all. Sony wants to show strong support from all major gaming developers, but by announcing the PS4 almost 10 months in advance, they've effectively killed off all market for the PS3.

drichardb said:

There's a difference between GDDR5 RAM in the PS4 and DDR3 RAM in PCs. You cannot directly compare them.

I'm copy pasting a comment from another forum:

GDDR5 IS NOT THE SAME THING AS DDR RAM WHICH IS INSIDE OF A COMPUTER.

GDDR5 is strictly for graphic processing. DDR is for computational tasks and caching.

And for all of you saying that this isn't some big number because "my computer has 8 gigs of ram and it's so cheap"- no. Shut up.

The reason this number is significant is because high end GPU's for PC's have between about 2-4GB of GDDR5 RAM (My system has 3GB of GDDR5).

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm a bit confussed with the whole 8gb dedicated GDDR5 ram.. GDDR5 is video ram.. not system ram. does it have seperate RAM for the system or does it share it? A PC for example will have so much GDDR5 ram on the graphics card and so much DDR3 for the system, if its all video RAM thats pretty mad :D the new Geforce GTX titan only has 6gb GDDR5 ram and its a $1000 card. Also IGN claims in their article that it boasts 1.84 teraflops of graphics processing power.. a single geforce GTX 670 for example has 2.5 teraflops..

One other thing to take note of is most games these dayss arent very CPU intensive.. its more about the GPU. My 4 year old Core i5-750@4.0ghz has no dramas at all playing any game at 2560x1440, all ive had to do over the years is upgrade my graphics card every couple of years to keep the eyecandy at max settings.. Even the first card i brought when i got the system would still play most games today, as long as the game isnt in DX11 as the card didnt support it and the eyecandy was turned down a few notches..

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Come to think of it.. it probably is all video RAM, you would probably need that to run games at 4k.. thats if it will run games at 4k? Higher resolutions seem to chew the VRAM more than anything, except maybe MSAA which is also a VRAM killer.. not only that, if they want it to be able to run games for the next 5-7 years 8gb would be a minimum i would guess..

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i guess they have a fair point, they might as well keep the console back for E3 or one of the big gaming shows.. i think they just wanted to make a statement of intent that its coming this year... to at least america/japan... not insignificant that the show didnt kick off till 11pm uk time...

the only thing they didnt really specifiy is if it would output 4k but i imagine it will be, i wonder will it feature a drive that can read the higher capacity blu-rays?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
micks_address said:
i guess they have a fair point, they might as well keep the console back for E3 or one of the big gaming shows.. i think they just wanted to make a statement of intent that its coming this year... to at least america/japan... not insignificant that the show didnt kick off till 11pm uk time... the only thing they didnt really specifiy is if it would output 4k but i imagine it will be, i wonder will it feature a drive that can read the higher capacity blu-rays?

My guess is that there is NO chance of it playing natively in 4K. And to be honest I reckon it would be pointless. It'll be native 1920p with high framerates and upscale to 4K maybe. As for the drive, I imagine it will play normal Blue Ray disks, as Sony AFAIK are planning to make 4K material a downloadable medium.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
GDDR5 is basically just DDR3 with a few enhancements like a prefetch and enhanced memory interface to increase the available bandwidth (which is good for GPU), though at the expense of increased latency (which might be worse for CPU).

Makes it roughly comparable to a Radeon 7850/7870.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Comparing any model of graphic cards with DDR3 and GDDR5 aboard there are improvements using GDDR5, though when taking a step to the next model it very rarely competes with its bigger brother so the improvement are good but not a major step.

Though none of us know how much memory is dedicated to the GPU and how much is to the Ram on either machine which i would only assume its a 50/50 affair

No one has considered the OS on either machine, this is a major factor on how the whole system is going to perform

I`m not taking sides on either machine as i know just like any PC you can buy a monster of a PC and because of its pairing it is acually slower than a good mid range PC, though i am very interested in see what each consoles got and how its used

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ps vita tv looks good,looks like you can play games in a second room streaming from ps4.
this could be a very handy add on if its reasonably priced.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Like this advert.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/playstation-4-sonys-nostalgic-new-2475762
Not sure what year the Raleigh banana was current ,thought that was 80s.

TRENDING THREADS