PS3 vs Xbox video streaming

Fuzzy Bear

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys,

Have been going down the space saving route recently so grabbed myself a nas to put all dvds and cds onto - Western Digital mybook Live ( not sure it's a true nas but user friendly network storage)

To watch my videos I use my PS3 fat, but it constantly has errors, audio sounds garbled or it just wont play the files.

I borrowed a friends new XBOX 250gb version, whilst he was on holiday and it streams everything I have.

Both are connected to the net so surely they should both just download any video/audio codecs they dont have?

Is it just a case of the Xbox being newer, or the file rips. Would a new ps3 slim stream everything.

The xbox has had some problems outputting audio dvd via optical so simply switching wont solve everything either.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
They will both only play certain files. They do not automatically download extra codecs, nor I think is there anyway of doing this manually.

The PS3 supports these formats.

MPEG-1 (.mpg, .mpeg)

MPEG-2 (.vob, .m2v)

MPEG-4 (.mp4)

AVI (.avi)

DIVX/XVID (.divx, .xvid)

WMV (.wmv)

AVCHD (.mts, m2ts)

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I find that the Xbox works better with different file formats too. If somethig won't play on the PS3, I put it on the 360 and it usually plays.

I downloaded some demo 3D SBS clips and they wouldn't play on PS3, but worked fine on 360.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts